Quickie & Blumenstein Benthic

oguinn · 5939

Offline oguinn

on: January 26, 2019, 05:33:11 AM
My current setup is JDS Labs DAC>Quickie>The Fix>SEX>Orcas and a powered sub. I’m looking at replacing the powered sub with a Blumenstein Benthic. Since it’s passive, I know I need a plate amp that can also provide power and a crossover.

Could I build or buy a crossover and use a Quickie to power a passive sub? If the stock Quickie wouldn’t provide enough power, would a Quickie/Quicksand combo?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Karl5150

Reply #1 on: January 26, 2019, 08:08:29 AM
Jameson,
I don't know how sensitive the Benthic sub is, but at home I run a 250w plate amp on each of the two subs mated to my Stereomour II and at work I run a 100w plate amp to a single 8" sub with a SEX amp.
Both integrate well, but are by no means bass heavy.
I run the desk speakers full range, but I built a high-pass x-over to releave the main speakers of bass duty at home. (About 105 Hz into 4 Ohms) I just jump off each channel of the input of the x-over to the speaker-level inputs of the plate amps.

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline cpaul

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 05:35:05 PM
The stock Quickie isn't a power amp and won't provide much of anything you need to drive a sub.  You would need a proper amp or plate amp for that purpose.  Now I can't answer if the Quicksand would effectively power a sub.  Depends a lot on the driver used in the sub, your room, and your personal preferences.  But even the Quicksand is pretty low power so I wouldn't expect miracles.

I don't have much experience with subs and plate amps but most subs I've heard are pretty boomy/rumbly and I'd be inclined to drive the Benthic with a "real" amp to get the best out of it.  But it may do just fine with a plate amp. I'd be inclined to cross over after Quickie and drive separate amps for the mains and sub.

I'm curious what others will say.

Offline Jamier

Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 06:31:16 PM
Jameson,

You might want to consider getting a simple electronic xover, something like an NHT X2. Crossing over actively will provide some advantages over speaker level connections. The X2 has a 12db/oct slope which will integrate well with a lot of speakers. I think Cpaul is correct about amp choices,  but try an X2 with your plate amp sub first and see what you think. The X2 is no longer available new but I see them on ebay alot for reasonable prices. Crossing actively to powered subs can make a big difference.

Jamie
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 06:36:38 PM by Jamier »

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 07:52:31 AM
Thanks, all. I have a search saved on eBay for the NHT X2, but I might just wait and buy a proper subwoofer amp once I'm ready to upgrade. I was hoping to make do with what I have laying around, but doesn't sound like I currently have the right tools for the job.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 01:17:18 PM
Can you pull the plate amp out of your current subwoofer?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 03:34:40 PM
Eesh, maybe. I’m not sure how that would work. It’s an older Yamaha in a particle board cabinet.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Jamier

Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 05:15:49 PM
Jameson,

If you get the X2 you can use it with your Yamaha sub as is. The main advantage of actively crossing is that your SEX will not be burdened with the task of producing the lowest frequecies.This will allow the amp greater "headroom" and the whole system will play louder but more importantly you will have less distortion at your normal listening level. You can do this with the sub you have as long as it has line level inputs. Remember that the lowest frequencies require the greatest effort from your amp. There are many advocates of active systems. This sort of active system gives the most bang for the buck. The X2 has outputs for 2 subs which will really bring a system to life. If you get an X2 get Y sub cable(s) so that you input into both channels on the subs amp.

Jamie
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 05:18:16 PM by Jamier »

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 05:31:46 PM
Yeah, sounds good, Jamie, thanks. I have my wye our for one. I’d eventually like to replace the Yamaha anyway, but it sounds like a good investment.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Jamier

Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 05:41:46 PM
 You don't need to replace the Yamaha, just add the Benthic and have stereo subs. Get a an equally powerful amp for it and run the two subs in stereo. They don't have to be identical especially if your room is not symmetrical. I run a velodyne mini- vee and a Goldenear Ff4 in the same room. I put the minivee in the corner and the FF4 on a straight wall and the base response is pretty even between the channels. Just play with the positions and you will eventually get the response you want.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #10 on: January 30, 2019, 10:06:23 AM
Jamie,

Maybe I’m missing how, but I only see one set of outputs for a sub. Unless you’re saying I’d split the right and left channels with a Y cable and put one channel to each sub? https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis9bcbj-nht-x-2-electronic-crossover-subwoofers

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Jamier

Reply #11 on: January 30, 2019, 12:24:46 PM
Exactly, you can get sub cables that are "y" s. You connect the y end at the sub's plate amp, one into the right channel, the other in the left. The side of the cable with the single RCA goes to the X2 and into one of the Sub Out RCA females, right for the right side sub or left for left. There is a switch on the back of the X2 to select for mono or stereo subs. You could also use a short Y and a single ended sub cable if you like, I have done it this way also and it works just as well. You can use the X2 with a single (summed) subwoofer signal but when you have actively crossed stereo subs the result is very satisfying. After adjusting the sub positions and the X2 levels you will have really good integration without the boominess that cpaul referred to in his post. A well adjusted sub system should not be obnoxiously loud and boomy. It should, sort of, disappear except for the improved low end extension. Even in a small room, using actively crossed stereo subs is still appropriate because of the greater control that you will have.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #12 on: February 10, 2019, 05:32:31 PM
Jamie,

I just got an X2 off eBay. Am I correct in assuming that the chain should look like this:

Source > Quickie > X2 > a) Subwoofer b) SEX

Jameson

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 07:04:53 PM
You could also use a short Y and a single ended sub cable if you like, I have done it this way also and it works just as well. You can use the X2 with a single (summed) subwoofer signal
Just be careful not to plug a Y-cable into the left and right outputs of your linestage preamp.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jamier

Reply #14 on: February 10, 2019, 07:32:21 PM
Jameson,

Yes, the chain is: source>quickie>X2>a)high pass out (R&L) to your SEX, with standard RCA cables) b) sub out with R to right sub, L to left sub with the Y cables (Y end towards subs) into both R&L inputs on each subwoofer.

Start with gain @ 0db and high pass filter at 80 Hz and be sure to set Trigger to Audio. Then adjust your settings from there.

Jamie
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 07:40:20 PM by Jamier »

James Robbins