Beepre gain feeding paramounts

Adrian · 1119

Offline Adrian

on: February 10, 2019, 12:55:37 PM
Currently I am operating my Paramounts fed from the Submissive as a "passive" input and feeding Blumenstein 2.2 mini/max system (original minis + max subs).  This works ok with the EROS as the necessary phono preamp and I get relatively good volume from my speakers - the submissive volume controls are at about "3/4" full volume setting for the maximum I will listen.  However, when I run my CD (Cambridge Audio), I commonly have to run the submissive at full volume.

If I add the Beepre to the Paramounts, about how much lower than these volume settings can I expect for the same perceived volume?
I would like to have a little more volume "head room" and be able to achieve higher perceived volume levels.

What I don't want is to have too much gain into the Paramounts that will drive the volume controls of the Beepre to significantly less than "1/2".

(The more I read this the more I'm thinking I'm not explaining this well!)

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 01:12:43 PM
Max gain of the BeePre with stock controls is about 8dB. Insertion loss of a Submissive is about -4dB. So you will see a difference of about 12dB higher gain from the BeePre wit stock pots. That's equivalent to adding one coarse click and two fine clicks more upper range to the Submissive. If you add the BeeQuiet to the BeePre you will see that similar insertion loss of around -4db to the BeePre circuit and thus overall gain will only be about 8dB higher than Submissive - roughly 5 or 6 clicks of the fine control.

Hopefully PB or PJ will check my work here.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 01:54:38 PM
IIRC, the insertion loss of the volume/balance pots on the BeePre and the BeeQuiet were eerily similar (I wish I could say we designed it that way!).

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 03:21:31 PM
I'm getting 12dB for a 300B, minus 3dB for the balance control (stock) is 9dB, or minus 4dB for the BeeQuiet for 8dB. Sounds like just what you want!

Paul Joppa

Offline Deluk

Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 01:47:26 AM
The standard CD player output is 2V rms. This is higher than that of a tuner, cassette deck, MP3 player etc. Does your Cambridge have a pair of outlets, one fixed and one adjustable? If you have it on the adjustable one, turn it up or try the fixed output.

Offline Adrian

Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 02:26:29 AM
Thanks for all of the very detailed information from everyone.
I may eventually decide to add the Beepree to my system - when the $$ becomes available (I also will need to reclaim some "real estate" for the additional gear.)
Again, thanks for the great information.

Adrian C.

VPI Prime w/Ortofon Quintet Black MC/Rothwell MCL Lundahl SUT/EROS/Submissive (3 output mod)/Mainline/Crack - Speedball/S.E.X. 2.1 - C4S/S.E.X. 3.0 - C4S/Paramounts - Blumenstein 2.2 Mini-Max w/DOF mod -Senn HD600/Viso HP50/Focal Elear.