A few resistance measurements are off [resolved]

FS · 3747

Offline FS

on: February 12, 2019, 06:03:18 PM
Hello,

I have finished my build for this amp, and have attached a few pics. Unfortunately, some of the resistance values are off. Terminals 1 through 10, and 11 through 20 are good. I get a faulty reading for terminal 24, it should read 0, but I get fluctuations between 3 and 10 Ohms in repeat measurements. Terminal 32 should read 0, too. However, I get a reading of 50 Ohms rising to 140. Terminal 46 should 0, but I get 0.3 MOhms there. Terminal 51 should be 0, but I get a reading of OL. I have tried to re-flow solder, where applicable, but no change. Does anybody have any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.
FS
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 06:15:45 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 06:09:12 PM
Just about all of those terminals touch the chassis plate. If you get a good resistance reading at 1, but not at 24, then try tightening the hardware at 24. 

Similarly if you get good resistance readings at 37/38, they are wired to 46.  If 46 isn't giving you a solid reading, then the wire connecting it to 37/38 has a soldering issue or is broken.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 06:16:46 PM
Also, terminal 46 isn't critical, I wouldn't waste any sleep over it.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline FS

Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 06:19:03 PM
Awesome! Thanks for the lightning speed in replying, Paul. I will try tightening those screws and check again. FS

Offline FS

Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 06:06:40 PM
Hi Paul,
I tightened all the hardware on the amp, and re-wired/soldered 37/38. That did the trick. All the resistance measurements were within the ranges provided. Moved on to the voltage measurements - everything checked out within the 10%. I have already listened to a few albums of blues and jazz. Since my Smash is still in the works, I am driving the Seductor through a Violectric PRE V630 into a pair of Blumenstein Orcas. Even without the sub, this amp sounds beefier than the Stereomour. I am really surprised. I am currently listening to Sade - Love deluxe, and it sounds lovely. Thank you for your help with troubleshooting, and thanks to everybody at Bottlehead for providing great audio products and service for so many years already! Cheers, FS