300b socket

rockpassion · 1174

Offline rockpassion

on: February 27, 2019, 05:14:02 PM
I have had constant problems with the 300b sockets on my BeePre.  I am constantly working on tightening the pin sockets.  The tubes wobble in the socket and I get static from them constantly.  I cannot get them stabilized in the socket.  I would like to get some new sockets that are tighter.  I read somewhere that the Valab sockets hold the pins much tighter.  Anyone have any experience with these or are there other sockets that can be recommended?

Thanks in advance

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline rockpassion

Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 06:43:10 PM
Just a followup.  I tried to retension the springs in my 300b sockets.  It did not work and in the process on of the springs broke.  So, I bought some new Azuna sockets from Angela Instruments.  Boy what a difference.   When I insert the 300b's they do not jiggle one bit.  They hold the tube extremely tight and per some comments on the website the tension does not wear out. 

I am currently in the process of replacing the old ones (what a tedious job, a lot of patience is required) I will report back once i have the BeePre's up in running.

Richard

Richard Vince

VPI MkIV, Woody Tonearm w/Shelter 501 MkII Cart. w/Soundsmith rebuild, Cinemag CMQEE-3440A SUT, Eros Phono Preamp, Beepre Preamp , QuickSilver V4 Amps, DIY 89259 Speaker Cables  & interconnects, VH Audio Power Cables, OPPO 205 Player, DIY 3 way speakers

Offline Chris65

Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 10:08:56 AM
Couldn't find any 'Azuna' sockets on Angela. A bit of digging, realised it's a typo, should be AZUMA of Japan, if anyone else is searching.

Offline rockpassion

Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 02:33:19 PM
Thanks for the correction and sorry about that.  One recommendation would be if you replace the sockets remove the circuit boards that are above them and put them to the side.  Additionally,  snip the wires at the terminals where they are connected to the metal plate.  Do not snip the wires on the circuit board.  It is far easier to reattach the wires on the terminal strips then trying to reinsert in the small holes on the circuit board!!!

Richard Vince