any interest in a headphone kit?

Doc B. · 18218

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #15 on: December 10, 2010, 12:26:57 PM
Here's a quick webcam pic of my prototype headphone mockup. Obviously no cables attached yet, and the drivers are not yet installed in the cans. The head band is a little snug, but other than that they are pretty comfortable. Hope to have drivers in and a proper cabling/impedance matching setup complete this weekend - after I put the damned furnace fan back together. Then we start to find out if this idea is reasonable or completely loony.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline grufti

Reply #16 on: December 10, 2010, 07:25:21 PM
This is yet another case of: "Honey you shrunk the headphones"! Look at Doc's earlier post in this thread and you'll know what I mean.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #17 on: December 11, 2010, 05:51:29 AM
Got the initial test set of drivers in the cans last night and hardwired some cable to them. We're in this crazy tool twilight zone right now, with half of my tools at the new unfinished office lab and half of them in the old lab at home. Did yesterday's work at the house lab so today I head for the office to finish the interface and hopefully give them a try.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: December 11, 2010, 01:40:55 PM
OK, they work. The precision of the assembly of the drivers is turning out to be critical, and I need to refine my technique to keep the driver from scraping on loud passages. But when the things are working right the bass is quite impressive. On one recording I was listening to today the rumble of the concert hall HVAC was quite audible. If I can get them to perform consistently I think they can outdo my HD600s in terms of resolution. Haven't AB'd with the K1000s yet.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Wanderer

Reply #19 on: December 12, 2010, 07:38:03 AM
Interesting....and in your experiment are you using the unique amp/driver circuit you mentioned?   

Kevin R-M

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #20 on: December 12, 2010, 07:58:01 AM
Actually I ran some figures and it looked like the Crack might be a reasonable impedance match. So that's what I used yesterday. Seemed to work pretty well as a starting point. Once I get the drivers debugged I will be able to evaluate the response a little better.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Maxwell_E

Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 10:10:29 AM
It seems a little belated, but I would like to state my massive interest in a headphone kit.

By the way, I'll be in town from the 23rd til the 29th probably. Might have to stop by and see the new offices.

Max Tomlinson
SEX amp, Tode guitar amp

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 10:19:52 AM
You're always welcome to stop by, Max. The prototypes are showing their potential but still need some work. It appears that to really make them work right I need to do a little materials research. I'm going to be talking to some folks in my brain trust to see if we can work out the last part we need to make them work as I would like them to.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline tdogzthmn

• Industrial Designer
Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 09:44:10 AM
If you need beta testers let me know!  Also if you care to have the services of an industrial designer for help of the design let me know I have always wanted to work on a headphone design.  Here's some of my work.  http://www.coroflot.com/public/individual_details.asp?individual_id=184063

Offline hasafraker

• Hasafraker Blog
Reply #24 on: February 01, 2011, 02:00:55 AM
I think this is a really cool idea, I'd be interested. Doc, what about a single side cord entry? My AT's are single side entry and they are so much easier to move around in, granted I don't walk around the house with them or anything but they get caught on a lot less stuff and when Eddie the demon dog leaps into my lap unannounced he manages to miss the cord more often than not since it's coming off the side of my head rather than down the middle of my torso. :)

as long as it sounds good, who cares?

Main system; AT-LP120-USB Turntable w/AT440MLa, Bottlehead Reduction Phono, Decware ZSP1 Preamp, Pass Labs ACA Monoblocks, PSB Alpha B1's, MartinLogan Dynamo 300 sub. Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball, Interconnects and stands all DIY.

Offline Jim R.

• Blind Bottlehead
Reply #25 on: February 17, 2011, 03:31:19 PM
C-- Jm
ount me in as interested as well.

Jim Rebman -- recovering audiophile

Equitech balanced power; uRendu, USB processor -> Musette DAC -> 5670 tube buffer -> Finale Audio F138 FFX -> Cain and Cain Abbys near-field).

s.e.x. 2.1 under construction.  Want list: Stereomour II

All ICs homemade (speaker and power next)

Offline castelletti

Reply #26 on: April 14, 2011, 04:35:05 PM
Hello everyone.  First post, but longtime lurker.  I would be interested in these as well.  I am in the market for some headphones as I just finished the Seduction build and am going to get the Crack here pretty soon.

I know it's preliminary but which market would they be competing with?  Currently I am looking at the DT800/600ohm and HD600/650, but would be happy to add these to the hunt.

Offline jrihs

Reply #27 on: April 15, 2011, 04:32:12 AM
Trying not to waffle, but this is where I'm at...I'd be willing to build something sonically competitive with the HD800...or maybe the HD650, partly because I need a price break on them, but mostly because that's what I want. On the other hand, I think even a cheaper set (synergistic with the crack of course) would be really interesting to assemble.

John Rihs

Offline castelletti

Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 03:21:35 PM
Aural Sex? :P

Offline jrihs

Reply #29 on: April 18, 2011, 05:20:52 PM
earogenous zone...

John Rihs