any interest in a headphone kit?

Doc B. · 17873

Offline Sh7eleven

Reply #30 on: May 29, 2012, 05:36:29 AM
I know this thread is a little dated, but is this idea still percolating or DOA? Just entering the world of headphones and thought this would be a cool project to build an amp/can combo and of course here it is on BH.

Sean Hamill

music, ski, music

Stereomour
Crack
FPIII extended

Offline Chris

Reply #31 on: May 29, 2012, 06:55:43 AM
would be very cool!!!! if and only if , it was up there with the best, otherwise what is the point.. to me anyway...

Offline Sh7eleven

Reply #32 on: May 30, 2012, 11:02:53 AM
a lot of the kits are stock with an upgrade path, I wouldn't mind that - there are probably a million ways to bring a stock kit up to the "very best" when you consider that you could make upgrades to the amp, cables, or even the headphones themselves.

Sean Hamill

music, ski, music

Stereomour
Crack
FPIII extended

Offline Pfenning

• My knockoffs
    • This is the place
Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 11:53:30 AM
Yea, something affordable with an upgrade path to world class like the other Bottlehead stuff. I'd be in for a set once I've purchased a Tode.

Pfenning

Pfenning

Paramour 1's with c4s and iron upgrade, Foreplay II, Seduction with c4s, Crack (stock) and Foreplay III (waiting to be built), DIY turntable with Rega RB250 arm with Incognito wiring, Oppo DVD, Pi Stage 4's and DIY subs

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 11:56:26 AM
The design I was working on is shelved until I can spend some time doing some materials research. However I have given PB the challenge of putting together an electrostatic headphone kit idea that I have, maybe for the Head-Fi meet here in august.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 10:17:50 AM
Hey Doc,
Has this fallen off the shelf yet?  Having got a Crack, it'd be great to put together a kit with some burl accents...just saying.

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #36 on: July 24, 2012, 10:27:08 AM
We've just been swamped with catching up orders, getting the guitar amp out and some other product development. I think it will be a little while before we can carve out some time for this one.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Armaegis

Reply #37 on: October 22, 2012, 07:29:13 PM
It's been a few months... Just poking in and seeing if there's been any rustling in the trees here.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #38 on: October 22, 2012, 07:36:51 PM
We're still pretty much up to our necks getting other new products out that are more developed. Consequently I haven't had time to dig into the materials research I need to do to see if the headphone ideas we have kicked around can be made to work.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

4krow

Reply #39 on: October 23, 2012, 07:40:28 AM
I like the idea, myself. I primarily use headphones as a sort of test equipment, i.e. the ultimate hearing experience because of lack of influences from room modes, etc. But, on the other hand, if the headphone amp is junk, then I have to sell it to buy one that is respectable. Been through a few of 'em.

Offline adamct

• Maxxximum CAPacity Crack
Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 09:39:33 AM
I'm sure you guys are still busy, but add me to the list of those who are interested. I would almost certainly buy one, even if just for the fun of building it.

Best,
Adam