Can Kaiju be modded for lower power output tubes but wider bandwith?

Guest · 1153

Deke609

I ask because the Stereomour II can be modded to run 45 tubes, and the mod allows the OTs to go deeper in bass.

Could something similar be done with the Kaiju? -- e.g., to run JJ 2A3-40s instead of 300Bs?  I know that Kaiju already has greater extension than the SII, but could it made to have even more extension?

I am still comparing my SII-45 to my SII-2A3 - and while I still very much prefer the SII-45, I wonder how much of this preference is due to the lower bass extension. My Audeze LCD-4 headphones can go pretty deep in the bass, so in my setup the difference in bandwith is quite noticeable.

MTIA,

Derek

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Stock Kaiju will already go deeper than Stereomour-45. Just wanted to point that out.

We are of course always exploring new products and refining old ones. We have some ideas along the lines you are asking about, but I can't (yet!) say anything further. Not all ideas pan out.

Paul Joppa

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Yes, order up a pair of 100H/75mA plate chokes and you'll be down less than 1dB at 5Hz, and with headphones output transformer saturation is unlikely to be an issue, even way down there.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Deke609

Many thanks PJ and PB.

@PB: Would the 100H/75mA chokes be a simple drop in for the stock? I.e., any major surgery to the circuit required?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Many thanks PJ and PB.

@PB: Would the 100H/75mA chokes be a simple drop in for the stock? I.e., any major surgery to the circuit required?
Yes, major surgery.

The stock iron already outperforms every available series feed output transformer I am aware of in terms of low frequency bandwidth.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man