PSU cap replacement for Paraglow IIs

kgwrocks · 2292

Offline kgwrocks

on: May 08, 2019, 08:26:04 AM
Hi Doc,
I while back, you recommended replacement power supply caps for my Paraglow IIs. It looks like the thread went away and I don't recall what the values were. Could you please tell me? I would appreciate it.
Thanks,
Kevin

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 08:47:05 AM
The minimum process for rebuilding Paraglows involves mounting a pair of 6 lug terminal strips on each power transformer, then moving the power supply to that location.  We usually used at least a pair of 220uF/250V caps in series to get 500V rated caps.  The next area to address was to dramatically increase the wattage rating of the cathode bias resistor.  For the recent rebuilds I have done, I have used 25-50W parts instead of the 10-12W parts provided with the kit.  These run cooler and last much longer.  Along with the new cathode bias resistor, a new cathode bypass cap is also called for. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 09:08:08 AM
The series caps should also have 1 megohm resistors in parallel with each cap to equalize the charge across the caps. This update is fairly tricky to implement because of the additional parts being sandwiched into the rather primitive layout (I can say that since I did it) and it might be something that is best sent to PB to install.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline kgwrocks

Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 06:19:09 AM
Thank you both very much