Crack Build - #4

ALL212 · 1653

Offline ALL212

Reply #15 on: May 21, 2019, 07:44:29 AM
8 3/8 x 10 1/4 inches.

Aaron Luebke

Offline ALL212

Reply #16 on: May 21, 2019, 07:48:11 AM
The build dissertation, Top plate - picture include.

The base is at an angle.  Not sure I would do that again.  It complicates things underneath a bit.  I mounted the choke right at the border and since the plate tips back...well, it's tight.

The silver caps are Clarity Cap ESA 39uf's and there are a pair of Clarity Cap 39uf CSA's under them in parallel for a total of 78uf.  I think the supplier ran out of ESA's (on sale - 50% off!) and then shipped the CSA's.  It worked out and I got a deal on the CSA's as they charged me the same @ 50% off.  There are some rubber bumpers under those caps to keep them off the plate.  I liked the silver on top - other than that no selection on which caps went where.

I had the tube names cut through the plate as additional cooling and to indicate who goes where as they are both 8 pin sockets (6SN7 used instead of the 12AU7).  I like the look of the PS caps poking up from underneath.  PS cap final is a 470uf Mundorf MLytic HV and the other is a JJ 220 uf.

RCA jacks in the back are Cardas GRFA

Some of this was leftovers from prior projects.  I had the Neutrix jack, knob, power switch, RCA's and the JJ PS cap left over from other projects.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 08:07:21 AM by ALL212 »

Aaron Luebke

Offline ALL212

Reply #17 on: May 21, 2019, 08:05:17 AM
The build dissertation, Bottom of the plate - picture include.

The power supply is changed so that I can use smaller output caps.  First cap is standard 220uf, 2nd cap is a JJ 220uf tipped with a 2.2uf Wima and final cap is a 470uf Mundorf MLytic HV tipped with a Solen 4.7uf film cap. In place of the 2nd resistor I've installed the Triad CX-7 choke.  1st resistor is a Mills that I had and it matched the 270 ohm value needed.  Diodes were replaced with the diode board and Cree Schottky diodes.  As someone noted I did put ferrite beads in but it's also been mentioned that they serve virtually no purpose with the transformer supplied. 
Wiring is mostly cotton wrapped ( https://www.tubedepot.com/products/20-ga-solid-cloth-wire-600-volt-rating ) or stock.
Power switch is a Cherry with the on/off markings.
I did use a 8 pin socket wired for 6SN7 tubes instead of the 9 pin 12AU7 socket.  I've liked the sound of the 6SN7's since I first tried them with the socket adapter.
Input wiring is Mogami 2534.
Volume is an Alps blue mounted on a circuit board.  Putting together the connectors isn't difficult but takes a steady hand (lay off the coffee!).  I find it easier than trying to solder onto the straight pins.

I'm going to try and resist putting in the Speedball so I can get a feeling for the sound.  I've installed the standoffs and found that doing that as you build insures that there are no difficulties getting those in later.  In other builds I streamed the speedball in but with all of the components moving on this build I elected to do that later.

Plate was designed by me and cut by laser.  I drilled some holes later to accommodate the capacitors and wire ties.  Each of those holes has a rubber grommet and under the output caps are rubber bumpers.

Aaron Luebke

Deke609

Reply #18 on: May 21, 2019, 08:09:02 AM
Very nice!

Offline Tom-s

Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 08:55:50 AM
 :o Mind blown!

Great build! Well done!

Offline oguinn

Reply #20 on: May 21, 2019, 09:50:35 AM
Really nice work, Aaron. Thanks for sending pictures along. I've added them to the gallery along with a write-up I synthesized from some of your posts.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline ALL212

Reply #21 on: May 21, 2019, 10:08:34 AM
A note on how I did the HLMP-6000 diodes.

I used 3L to headphone jack ground wire.  An "old" trick was to cut insulation and rather than pull it off just separate it wherever wire was needed.  In this manner I was able to connect the diodes to ground and their respective terminals without use of the normal 12AU7 socket center terminal.

Aaron Luebke

Offline Karl5150

Reply #22 on: May 21, 2019, 10:11:14 AM
Good work, as usual, Aaron.
Jameson, I had planned on asking to see photos of your work, noting you have built a number of kits in a short period of time. Just followed the link- nice builds and photos.
Karl

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline oguinn

Reply #23 on: May 21, 2019, 11:53:02 AM
Good work, as usual, Aaron.
Jameson, I had planned on asking to see photos of your work, noting you have built a number of kits in a short period of time. Just followed the link- nice builds and photos.
Karl
Thanks! Always happy to add builds from others here - send them over!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline ALL212

Reply #24 on: May 21, 2019, 02:57:45 PM
All good builds need a name.  Thanks to a friends abbreviate reference this one is dubbed C-4.

Aaron Luebke

Offline ALL212

Reply #25 on: May 24, 2019, 03:59:16 AM
I did find the bass a bit lose so I've installed the speedball.  This is the first time I've installed the new speedball and it really is a breeze!

And the really hard part is also done - badge attached.

Other than my own mistake with the transformer wiring this went very well. 

Thanks BottleHead team!

Aaron Luebke

Offline oguinn

Reply #26 on: May 24, 2019, 05:12:15 AM
I've been kicking around the idea of having my badges professionally installed. Very high-stakes stuff. Can't leave it to amateurs.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline ALL212

Reply #27 on: May 24, 2019, 07:28:49 AM
To install the badge use a GPS, sextant and a protractor.  ::)   If you don't use all three it gets "wonky".   :o

Aaron Luebke

Offline oguinn

Reply #28 on: May 24, 2019, 08:13:03 AM
The badge on my Smash is only slightly askew and it makes me crazy.

Jameson O'Guinn

-