Question about 300B tubes and preamps

Kevin · 927

Offline Kevin

on: June 08, 2019, 08:38:22 AM
I recently ordered a Kaiju about a month ago for my Klipsch Forte IIIs, but am still no closer in deciding on a preamp. Two contenders were the Mainline and the BeePre.

1) Has anyone used the Mainline as a preamp for the Kaiju?
2) I read somewhere in this forum that the Mainline does not require tube matching because of the built-in biasing circuit. Do the 300B tubes need to be matched for the BeePre and Kaiju?

Thanks

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: June 08, 2019, 12:07:10 PM
I recently ordered a Kaiju about a month ago for my Klipsch Forte IIIs, but am still no closer in deciding on a preamp. Two contenders were the Mainline and the BeePre.
This is a good dilemma to have!
1) Has anyone used the Mainline as a preamp for the Kaiju?
For many years I used one of the prototype Mainlines that I built with our 300B Paramounts, and Doc B. did the same with an earlier version of the Mainline circuit.  If you would find the headphone output useful, the Mainline is plenty happy serving preamp duty. 

2) I read somewhere in this forum that the Mainline does not require tube matching because of the built-in biasing circuit. Do the 300B tubes need to be matched for the BeePre and Kaiju?
The 300B tubes don't need to be electrically matched, but they should be from the same manufacturer. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man