Ordering/Shipping schedule for Kaiju

Guest · 1882

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: June 11, 2019, 09:50:26 AM
The EML300B that is actually a 300B will work in the BeePre.

The other EML tubes are not 300Bs and will not work properly in the BeePre.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Deke609

Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 09:57:02 AM
@Derek, here's a topic with what i think is sensible to upgrade in a Kaiju (and what i plan to implement in my SII aswel).

Thanks Tom. Nice spot. I read that thread but never thought to analyze the caps. I've got the parafeed and interstage coupling caps covered -- but it never occurred to me insert a film cap as the last cap in the power supply, although I've seen that recommendation before. Since I'm going all out (by my standards), why not? 

cheers,

Derek

Deke609

Reply #17 on: June 11, 2019, 10:02:21 AM
Thanks PB. I'll get 2 pairs of the EML 300b - one for the Beepre and the other for the Kaiju.

I'm fussed about getting the for the Beepre b/c my experience with adding V-Cap CuTFs to the BeePre and the SIIs was that the change to the Beepre had the biggest benefit - which makes sense to me since the Beepre is earlier in the chain.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #18 on: June 11, 2019, 10:51:46 AM
but it never occurred to me insert a film cap as the last cap in the power supply,
The amp pictured does not have film capacitors in the power supply.  Those are cathode bypass capacitors. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline Alonzo

• Not all those who wander are lost
Reply #19 on: June 11, 2019, 11:00:15 AM
The amp pictured is mine, I considered both a change in the R1 resistor and a film cap as the last cap in the power supply.  Would it be worth the trouble?  Not to me, what is there is fine, for power supply, if you have problems then you should go with the DC upgrade or bypass with a nice film cap (and I didn't want to bother PB anymore).  For the resistor, I didn't think the BH supplied one needed upgrading.  YMMV, etc, etc.
Do what you like...

Alonzo
Gameroom:>Mainline to HD820, SR45 to Pipette
>BeePree Kaiju & SII to Altec 19 knockoffs
Office:>BH Stat amp to Koss 95x, T20 SET to JBL 4309s
Den:> MorePlay 845 SET to Altec Valencia's

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #20 on: June 11, 2019, 11:14:51 AM
The parallel feed arrangement of the output stage keeps the high voltage DC supply mostly out of the signal path. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Deke609

Reply #21 on: June 11, 2019, 02:12:23 PM
Those are cathode bypass capacitors.

Apologies, PB - I missed that point in your previous response to Tom above. I see now: the cap in parallel with the cathode resistor to ground.

Many thanks,

Derek