Smash and Kaiju?

oguinn · 1006

Offline oguinn

on: July 04, 2019, 08:16:53 AM
Here’s a question I’m afraid to ask because of the implications the answer has on my bank account… is the Smash a good pair for the Kaiju? I don’t think I could swing a Bee Pre anytime soon, but with the Kaiju sale...

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 09:21:04 AM
Sure, they would work well together, you just have to find a Smash for sale!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 09:23:19 AM
I already have one! Just wondering if it’d pair well, which unfortunately it sounds like it will.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Jamier

Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 10:40:53 AM
Your wife's gonna'  kick your ass!

Jamie
« Last Edit: July 04, 2019, 10:43:51 AM by Jamier »

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 02:11:02 PM
We’re 31 hours into our return trip from Hawaii. I’m trying to figure out if this is the right time or the wrong time to broach the topic. Maybe when I get some sleep I’ll realize I should wait for the paint to dry on the Stereomour before replacing it…

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline oguinn

Reply #5 on: July 06, 2019, 02:13:39 PM
Welp I did it. And added a BeePre. Currently looking for couches to crash on.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Deke609

Reply #6 on: July 06, 2019, 02:40:19 PM
Hah! You can crash at my place ... BUT: (1) it's in Toronto; (2) you need to bring all your BH gear; and (3) you need to buy and bring Jagers too.

Here's how I'd rationalize it: since the purchase of the BP and K were inevitable, you've merely hastened what was to be in any event.   Further, as these things are inevitable, and the result is musical goodness, it follows that the only way to maximize goodness from the inevitable is to assemble the full system posthaste, thereby securing maximum listening time/pleasure.  And by that unassailable logic, it follows that it would make perfect sense to order the Jagers and a couple more Kaiju's now. ;)

If you make the above pitch, please share with the forum how it goes over.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 02:50:09 PM by Deke609 »

Offline Jamier

Reply #7 on: July 06, 2019, 06:31:29 PM
My advice: don’t tell her. Clearly, she doesn’t know yet, ‘cause if she did your typing fingers would be broken and you would not have been able to post the news of your purchase. You should take my approach: 1) be home when the boxes arrive and hide them for approximately 6 weeks. 2) when you begin work on the amps, have one of your completed projects on the bench with the chassis inverted so it looks like your working on it. 3) learn to work furiously when your wife is out running errends, but be able to “pack it in” upon her arrival home, leaving the aforementioned, previously completed project out and in some minor state of disassembly. You will tell her you are making modifications to it.She may never find out if you execute this plan with the utmost precision.Be advised that working in this fashion will require some patience, but your marriage will be much happier this way.Take it from me, 34 blissful years and counting.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #8 on: July 07, 2019, 10:04:36 AM
We keep separate accounts for our own things and a mutual account for our joint things. I told her I bought a couple amps and left it at that. Thanks for the kind offer, Derek. I may take you up on it when I buy Jaegers in the future.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Jamier

Reply #9 on: July 07, 2019, 01:05:31 PM
Jameson,

My comments were intended to be humorous, but if I missed the mark, I am sorry to have offended.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #10 on: July 07, 2019, 03:00:59 PM
Jamie, I have never been more offended in my life ;)

Kidding. I laughed when I read your comment. My post was post about a dozen beers and pre a much needed nap.

Jameson O'Guinn

-