Need ideas for casework and source

Happy Ghost · 1067

Online Happy Ghost

on: July 26, 2019, 07:24:56 AM
Hi All,

I recently picked up the S.E.X 3.0. I've assembled a Crack+SB previously. But with this amp, I want to do quality casework (for a change) :) Can anyone point out some great designs with notes. I really want the case to shine as much as the amp.

Also coming to the source, I was planning for input to use my iPod Touch. So my idea was iPod Touch ---> (DoodleBug Isolator) PupDAC --> S.E.X. 3.0. Has anyone tried something similar? If so, can you please let me know your feedback. Most of the music I have is stored as Apple iTunes+ format. Very few FLAC/ALAC :(

Thank you all in advance!

Rgds,
Atul

Atul

Offline oguinn

Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 07:44:24 AM
I haven’t used that specific DAC, but I do use a JDS Labs DAC from an older iPhone 7 and it works perfectly well. I just leave it in airplane mode, or move it far enough away from the amp if I’m streaming

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Online Happy Ghost

Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 08:09:05 AM
I've the ODAC too. But it's dedicated solely to the Crack+SB setup.. Wanted to try something new here :)

Atul

Offline Karl5150

Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 10:24:41 AM
The attached photos, taken from the old BH photo gallery, are of what I always considered the benchmark for casework on a Bottlehead kit. One of the other forum members may be able to recall the name of the artist. (I think I know, but not 100% positive)
PB and other forum members have also posted photos of brilliant builds.
Karl 

Karl
Downstairs: Planar3>PH-16>Stereomour II>OB Betsy+
Upstairs: RP1>Eros/CD5004>Seductor (2x Monoblocks)>FH3
Office: Modi Uber 2/Sirius>SEX2.1.1>µFonken FF85WK + DC160 subs
BR: FiiO M6>SEX3.0.1>ScanSpeak 10F + TangBand W6 (Mono)/DT770Pro
Garage: X12 streamer>Quicksand>Minimus 77

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 10:26:13 AM
Like this?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #5 on: July 26, 2019, 10:40:58 AM
That's so sweet

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Online Happy Ghost

Reply #6 on: July 26, 2019, 07:03:20 PM
The attached photos, taken from the old BH photo gallery, are of what I always considered the benchmark for casework on a Bottlehead kit. One of the other forum members may be able to recall the name of the artist. (I think I know, but not 100% positive)
PB and other forum members have also posted photos of brilliant builds.
Karl

OMG! thats so awesome !!!!! on a slightly humorous side note, I wonder if the case work cost as much as the actual cost of the kit :)

Atul

Offline sharktopus

Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 03:55:55 PM
I am actually looking at the same thing right now myself.  The first photo is the design that I think I am going to try to emulate.  The rest are other amps that I really liked the look of.  These two websites have lots of nice ideas too:  momchil.wordpress.com and glowinthedarkaudio.com/amps.html

Drew Sanford

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 04:17:45 PM
You could drill holes around the edge of the stock plate, powder coat it black, then shrink the wood base down and get pretty close to that first picture without spending too much money.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man