Need Help with First Tube Build - WE91 300B Parafeed Derivative

EricS · 22497

Deke609

Reply #240 on: January 20, 2021, 10:04:45 AM
Here's a neat plot of 1/f noise of an op-amp that lines up with PJ's assessment.

And here's a link to the article from which the plot is taken: http://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialogue/articles/understanding-and-eliminating-1-f-noise.html#

Weird phenomenon.

cheers, Derek

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #241 on: January 20, 2021, 10:51:42 AM
Thanks for this sanity check, Paul and Derek!  I've never come across that before.  Sounds like it's time to stop tilting at this windmill and just enjoy listening  :)

Here is a set of final measurements I made of filament voltages for both amps.  I used my variac to adjust AC mains from 120v to 125v (typical range for my neighborhood seems to be low-122-ish to high-123-ish.   Excuse me while I cue up some of my favorite vinyl!

Eric

Haven't electrocuted myself yet...   
There are ALWAYS User Serviceable Parts Inside!

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #242 on: January 20, 2021, 04:03:25 PM
And here's a link to the article from which the plot is taken: http://www.analog.com/en/analog-dialogue/articles/understanding-and-eliminating-1-f-noise.html#

Interesting read - never heard about this before.  It also looks like a pretty sophisticated circuit/approach to a solution...  I think I'll pass and just learn to live with the noise that I can't hear  8)

This is making me think there is nothing wrong with my FocusRite ADC.  I suppose the audio system in my new computer has some software/circuitry to mitigate 1/f noise.

Eric

Deke609

Reply #243 on: January 20, 2021, 04:37:17 PM
Thanks for this sanity check, Paul and Derek! ...

Any sanity here is not my doing. I'm just a grinning fool trying to clap along to PJ's beat.   ;D 

Enjoy the vinyl listening! [Now where's a clapping monkey emoji when you need one?]

cheers, Derek

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #244 on: January 24, 2021, 07:23:24 AM
Since this project is "mostly" wrapped up (isn't there ALWAYS a tweaking phase?!?), I thought I'd share my final parts list and schematic as implemented.  It's a joy to listen to, but I have to say that half of the fun is in gathering the parts, as Jamie suggested.   

Time to find my next project, though I already have 4 amps that don't fit on my oversized equipment rack... 
« Last Edit: January 25, 2021, 02:45:57 AM by EricS »

Eric

Deke609

Reply #245 on: January 24, 2021, 09:23:19 AM
Eric - Thanks for sharing the project. It's been fun to follow along.

I checked out your parts and prices list. Substracting the price of the EML 300Bs, that's $2200 for a beautiful pair of well-designed (and no doubt great sounding) parafeed monoblocks with really nice components. Quite a deal! (Although it looks like you got your MQ iron at a steal - including from Mike!).

Looking forward to reading the build-log of your next project!

cheers, Derek

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #246 on: January 30, 2021, 03:59:44 PM
Its funny, after playing around in the tube domain for a little while, I am inclined to agree that this is a bargain for a great pair of 300B monoblock amps.  At the start of this project, though, it was a bit of sticker shock for me.  I have built a number of solid state Class-A amps and the price tag on these has ranged from a low of < $100 (built with recycled/scavanged parts) to a high of about $600 for a premium-parts build.     

Eric

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #247 on: March 20, 2021, 12:27:37 PM
I've been enjoying my new 300B monoblock amps for a little while now and wanted to confirm an operational detail.  After several hours of operation, the PGP 8.1 power transformer is running pretty warm.  I can measure close to 73 or 75c. 

Is this temperature level normal and/or OK?  Transformers in my solid state stuff run much cooler.
Thanks,
Eric

Eric

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #248 on: March 20, 2021, 02:41:08 PM
That's pretty warm, all right. I assume this is surface temperature?

Can  you check the cathode voltage (wiper of the hum pot) - and what is the cathode resistor value? If it's operating correctly, it should be within the spec of the transformer, but it's an old design and I don't know what the expected surface temperature is. In modern practice, you'd like to stay below 60C.

Thinking a little  more - what is your powerline voltage? B+ volts? The transformer was originally intended for 117 volts, IIRC - I'll check my notes.

How is the ventilation?

Paul Joppa

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #249 on: March 21, 2021, 04:24:33 PM
Yes, this is surface temperature for the power transformer measured with an infrared non-contact thermometer.   Temp measures cooler closer to the top (in the mid 60s), warmer down by the top plate (low 70s). 

300B cathode resistor is 1k 50w aluminum body wire wound.  Last time I measured cathode voltage, it was about 68v.  It has never measured more than 70vDC.  B+ is about 420vDC measured from plate to ground.   The 300B dissipates about 23-24w.  All of this seems pretty much right on spec to me.  Each monoblock draws about 0.75A or about 93w.  AC mains is fused with a 1.25A slow-blow.

My AC mains tend to range between 122-125vAC.  If the transformer is intended for 117v, this is likely why I had to add voltage trimming resistors to all of my heater circuits.

My chassis doesn't have very much ventilation.  The chassis is wood all around the base, it sits on a few felt pads that are maybe 1/8" thick.  The aluminum top plate does not have any vent holes in it.  The power transformer sits on top of nylon shoulder washers, so there is a small gap between the laminate stack and the base plate for the transformer - maybe 1/16".  It was on for about 6-7 hours when I measured temperatures.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 04:40:27 PM by EricS »

Eric

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #250 on: March 21, 2021, 04:33:26 PM
IIRC the PGP8.1 was wound for 115V mains.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #251 on: March 21, 2021, 04:55:16 PM
Hmmm...  I added 1R0 to the secondary for the 300B heater, 1R5 to the secondary for the input tube heater, and 0R1 to the secondary for the rectifier heater. 

Would a better approach be to add some resistance to the primary of the power transformer?  Perhaps a CL-60 of one variety or another might bring the primary voltage down a bit.  Seems like a 10R CL-60 might drop 5-7v off the primary.

I would certainly welcome other ideas for trimming primary voltage.  I'd like to avoid cooking the power transformers...
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 05:03:38 PM by EricS »

Eric

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator
Reply #252 on: March 21, 2021, 06:54:39 PM
I found the spec sheet (from Freed):

DocB is right, it was wound for 117 volts input; it would be prudent to take 5 to 8 volts off of that; you could likely take those resistors out of the filament/heater lines then. Personally, I'd do it with a homemade autoformer stepdown in its own box, since it would generate less heat than a resistor.  You can make one with a 6.3v 2A or greater filament transformer, which should handle both amps.

Temperature rise is specified as 45 to 50 degrees. If room temperature is 20C (68F), that's 65-70C at the transformer, so it's operating within spec though at the limit. For what it's worth, we used it in the pld B-Glow and ParaBee at 70mA and never had any issues.

More ventilation would help, especially getting a little airflow over the 1K cathode resistor. I'd start with 3/8 or 1/2 inch clearance at the bottom - it's easiest.

What are you using for a rectifier? The 5v winding is rated 2.0 amps, which is why I specified a 5AR4 rather than the usual 5U4. Actually, the spec sheet suggests a 5Y3, which would give you a bit less B+ but would be easier on the transformer. Other possibilities are 5R4 or 5V4.

It is considered normal to take 3-4 hours for the power transformer to come to final temperature.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 06:59:07 PM by Paul Joppa »

Paul Joppa

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #253 on: March 22, 2021, 03:14:39 AM
Thanks, Paul, this is very helpful!  An outboard autoformer sounds like an easy solution and I'll likely be able to remove some of my filament trimming resistors.  The irony is that it took me a while to dial in those voltage levels to my ac mains ;-)

I'm running a NOS Mullard 5AR4 f31 rectifier - probably from the late 1950s or early 1960s or so.  I'll see if I can find some nice looking feet for the chassis - this should help a little as well.

Now that I have these working, it would be a shame to over cook things...

Eric

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #254 on: March 22, 2021, 04:58:23 AM
I always hesitate a bit when asking questions that reveal my lack of knowledge, but here it goes anyhow:    ???

Lowering voltage on the primary will certainly lower voltages on the secondaries, include B+ which I expect will decrease from ~420vDC to somewhere near ~400vDC (I'm expecting an approx 5-6% decrease in voltages across the board).  How will this impact the bias point of the 300B tube?  Will it draw more current at the lower voltage point in order to maintain its "desired" operating point of about 23w? Or will I need to tweak something else?

Thanks!

Eric