paramount

wetpet · 1800

Offline wetpet

on: August 06, 2019, 08:56:46 AM
Don't know if this is the right section to post this. Going through these components i built over a decade ago and noticed a difference in the amps. one has a very large silver in oil cap one doesn't. only thing I can think is I upgraded one but not the other? I guess i should change the other one? also, should I replace any caps for age? all about 13yrs old.

Offline wetpet

Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 09:16:49 AM
found the matching silver in oil caps in my stash. They look like i had them on and took them off. Also noticed the ceramic base of the 300b is cracked (pointing screwdriver at it) . Maybe I took them off to replace the base? Is the cracked base a problem? the contact still seems solid.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 09:28:45 AM
Yes, those old sockets would crack more easily than we realized when we first put out the Paramount.  Those are super duper original Paramounts.  The lack of solder mask and silkscreening on the driver boards would date them pre-2006 I think.

I believe these sockets will drop into an old Paramount, though you might need a tight fitting O-ring between the socket and chassis plate to take up some of the extra space. 

I might still have one or two of those original sockets sitting around if you just want to replace it.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline wetpet

Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 03:09:20 AM
I actually found a new socket mount. I must have ordered it a long time ago and never installed it. Do you think it is necessary?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 04:54:50 AM
You could drip just one drop of super glue into the crack and probably be OK.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man