Question regarding added wire from Terminal PT 4 to 14U (for an upgraded Crack)

Jimb0 · 512

Offline Jimb0

Hi. I am currently fixing an upgraded Crack (original version, not 1.1) for someone. There's a wire that was added that is going from terminal 4 of the power transformer to terminal 14U. Can you explain why this wire was added? Was this for one of the upgrades? He has a choke mod, cree diodes, and upgraded caps.

In the picture I desoldered most of the parts so you won't see the upgrades there and a lot of the other wiring. This was the one wire that was added that wasn't part of original Crack wiring so just wanted to know the reason why it's there.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 11:55:29 AM by Jimb0 »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
That wire grounds the heater winding of the power transformer.  You can terminate it there, or at the ground lug by the IEC power entry module.

If I had that Crack on my bench for repair, I would start by properly mounting the power transformer!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Jimb0

Thanks PB. I'm currently desoldering all the parts, that's why the power transformer are not screwed in place. He had the choke mounted on those screws but I had to remove it in order to desolder the other parts underneath.