Copper Ribbon Speaker Cables

Jamier · 648

Offline Jamier

on: August 16, 2019, 06:40:32 AM
PB, PJ, or Doc,

I am experimenting with 14 AWG Copper Ribbon cables made from an unwound Goertz inductor. Goertz makes ribbon cables and advises the use of a Zobel network across the speaker binding posts to reduce the risk of oscillation due to the high capacitance of the ribbon. I did not measure the capacitance of these, but I’m thinking that the use of a Zobel is probably not necessary when using an output transformer coupled amp. I have used these for a few hours now with no signs of a problem, but I was wondering whether I was just having good luck with this amp and might have a problem when used with another. By the way, they do offer an improvement over my conventional cables.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 09:21:06 AM
My experience with that kind of foil cable is that it gets progressively muddy sounding as the copper gets flexed and work hardened. Regarding the oscillation the only way to know for sure if it is a problem is to look at the cables in operation on a scope, with the amp you want to use.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Jamier

Reply #2 on: August 16, 2019, 10:42:30 AM
Doc,

I think you are right, they are fragile and should not be over manipulated. Another issue that some speak of is the issue of insulation. There are those that believe insulating with plastic degrades the performance. I don’t know where I am on that one but, I did insulate these with a kraft paper tape, 2 layers. I also soldered on copper washers to terminate the foil which I slip over the binding posts, screwing down the binding post nut over those, to avoid marring the foil ( that way the foil is in direct contact with the post). I can say that,right out of the box, these things increase the transparency of the image, the complete opposite of muddy. If and when they wear out and work harden, they are so quick and easy to remake that they are well worth the effort. If anyone makes these don’t stack the foil on the run to the speaker. Keep the 2 conductors seperate to the extent that you can.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline 2wo

• Test
Reply #3 on: August 16, 2019, 04:07:37 PM
I tryed them once, they turned out to be an  irresistible cat toy...John

John Scanlon