#8 solder tab

benzxc · 3150

Offline benzxc

on: August 20, 2019, 11:47:11 PM
So my kit is missing the #8 solder tab and instead I received three #6 solder tabs. Is it possible to use the #6 solder tab in the place where I am supposed to use the #8?

I checked with two of my local hardware stores and neither of them stocked the solder tabs. Amazon doesn't ship to where I am either. So if it is possible for me to do use what I have, it would save quite some time and hassle!

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Chiou

Deke609

Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 03:03:58 AM
Yeah, I've had to use #6 in place of #8 a couple of times. Works fine - there's no magic to the sizing other than #6 can be difficult to get on the threads of a #8 bolt.  What I do is carefully bend one of the star points of the tab up and the next one down, and so on - and then trim the bent points a bit with flush cutters. The only reasons for the alternating up/down is to create some space around the points for the flush cutters.

cheers, Derek

Offline benzxc

Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 03:27:18 AM
Thanks a lot Derek! Going to try that now!

Ben

Ben Chiou

Offline benzxc

Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 03:48:26 AM
Works perfectly!

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Chiou

Deke609

Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 03:51:53 AM
Cheers! Glad it worked. It would be frustrating to halt a build while waiting for a single $0.15 part!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 04:45:43 AM
It's also worth mentioning that the outside dimensions of the #6 and #8 solder tabs are about the same, while the only real difference is how long the inner teeth are.  It can be rather difficult to tell them apart visually, and it's super easy to accidentally overlook the #8 solder tab as a #6.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline benzxc

Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 05:57:53 AM
Noted, thanks Paul!

Ben Chiou

Offline benzxc

Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 06:16:43 AM
By the way, any tips for removing the shielded wire and stripping the wires inside? I had a little bit of trouble removing and stripping them by simply cutting the wires. I eventually got it to work by cutting real slowly and there are still quite a bit of shielded wires left since a lot was provided but it would be nice to know if there is a preferred method to do so.

Thanks,
Ben

Ben Chiou

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 09:35:18 AM
Is this for the black STP or the CAT5?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline benzxc

Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 01:12:58 PM
The black STP

Ben Chiou

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 02:02:35 PM
Yes, go slowly when you take off the outer jacket.  One of those hardware store wire strippers that has the row of differently sized strippers can take the black jacket off reliably, and a normal wire stripper for fine wire can be used on the inner solid core wires.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline benzxc

Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 03:01:35 AM
Thank you, Paul.

Ben Chiou

Offline benzxc

Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 04:58:46 PM
I successfully stripped the shielded wires! But when I was stripping the last one required for the build, I accidentally clipped a bit of the drain wire as well. It is not cut through, but there is a noticeable clip where the outer jacket was removed. Is this going to be a problem?

Now that I'm run out of the shielded wires, I hope I don't have to get some more (I assume they can be bought at hardware stores). If it's a problem, would it be ok if I simply pull a bit of the drain wire from the remaining portion of the shielded wire?

I know it's probably hard to troubleshoot this issue without a photo but for some reason my phone camera is acting up and not letting me take a photo. Will upload a photo as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Ben 

Ben Chiou

Offline benzxc

Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 06:19:59 PM
Here it is. Thanks!

Ben Chiou

Offline benzxc

Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 07:00:05 PM
From the opposite angle.

Ben Chiou