Mundorf Supreme Filter Caps - Before and After

jtori · 2218

Offline jtori

on: March 14, 2019, 12:53:00 PM
I installed a pair of 10uF Mundorf Supreme filter caps today.  Here's the before and after.

Best,

Joe.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 07:06:08 PM
Can you respond with the differences you heard with this capacitor change?

Offline jtori

Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 10:35:00 AM
Sure.  Mind you, I just performed this mod yesterday so my impressions may not yet be fully formed.  In initial assessment, however, is that things sound slightly smoother and there is a little more bottom end.  To me, it's an improvement.  Listening with the Sennheiser 800S, I'm in a happy place. 

For reference, my chain is:  Windows PC/Windows 10/JRiver 24 --> Oppo 105D --> Mainline --> Sennheiser HD800S.

Best,

Joe.

Offline jtori

Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 01:23:01 PM
The Mainline is transformed (capacitated?).  I've listened now for a few days and can honestly say I'm blown away by what the Mainline is capable of.  I've listened with both the HD800S and the ZMF Auteur and am just intoxicated by the sound; on both phones it is captivating:  Smooth but revealing.  Possessing punch when required.  Thanks, BH, for allowing room to accommodate this upgrade!

Offline Raymond P.

Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 07:53:18 PM
I also replaced the stock output caps with the same Mundorf Supremes. Honestly, I did not detect any difference (using HD650's). When I replaced the electrolytic output caps in the Crack with film caps I could easily hear a difference. My theory, applicable to me, is that going from one type of film cap to another probably won't make any detectable differences, especially without any proper a/b testing. That's a good thing for my wallet.

It good to see the Auteur mating well with the Mainline. I'm thinking of getting the Aeolus, which I hear is a bit warmer compared to the Auteur.

Raymond P.

Offline ToneDeaf

Reply #5 on: April 13, 2019, 05:23:59 PM
 Which Supremes are they?  I would guess not the Silver/Gold/Oil at $300 a pop.

Offline Tom-s

Reply #6 on: April 13, 2019, 09:32:11 PM
No. I use the Mundorf Supreme 10uf SGO's in my Mainline but have to warn you that they don't fit as nice as these do.
They are 1-2mm too big in diameter to fit between the boards and the chokes.
The sound is better / different but not worth the investment imo.
A pair of Russian 10uf K75-10 250V could be a good and cheap alternative.

Offline itsikhefez

Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 04:21:42 AM
I also replaced the stock output caps with the same Mundorf Supremes. Honestly, I did not detect any difference (using HD650's). When I replaced the electrolytic output caps in the Crack with film caps I could easily hear a difference. My theory, applicable to me, is that going from one type of film cap to another probably won't make any detectable differences, especially without any proper a/b testing. That's a good thing for my wallet.

It good to see the Auteur mating well with the Mainline. I'm thinking of getting the Aeolus, which I hear is a bit warmer compared to the Auteur.

I'm using the Aeolus with the Mainline and its a great match IMO

Offline truong_guitar

Reply #8 on: August 30, 2019, 05:11:39 PM
Hi all,

Can I use capacitor 2.2uF? How is it difference with 10uF?

Offline Bardamu

Reply #9 on: August 30, 2019, 07:07:08 PM
Hello,
I have been looking on ebay for bigger value K75-10. They are getting more difficult to find. So far, for me they give the right sound. It might take a few hours before they show all their virtues.
If you can find them i would surely try them before going to invest in '' audiophile '' caps. I still have lots of them like MIT but they all end up in the attic.
Greetings, Eduard

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 04:40:27 PM
Hi all,

Can I use capacitor 2.2uF? How is it difference with 10uF?
If you are OK with very little bass coming out of the headphone jack, then 2.2uF would be OK.  The Mainline works well with 10-20uF. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man