HD 800s 4.4mm Balanced Cable

adydula · 1125

Offline adydula

on: September 16, 2019, 05:17:23 AM
I am thinking of getting a set of HD800s in the next few weeks but notice Senn has changed the balanced cable from the 4 Pin XLR one to a new 4.4 mm TRSS balanced plug?
They sell a $350+ balanced XLR cable.

But I dont want to spend another $350 if there is a way or adapter that will take this 4.4 mm balanced plug and convert to a 4 pin male XLR that will plug into the Mainline's XLR female jack?

Is there any magic out ther or am I stuck with getting another cable if I want to use the balanced output of my Mainline?

Thanks
Alex

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 05:42:52 AM
There are many, many other cables than the Senn cable that come with a 4 pin XLR plug.  For desktop headphone use, the XLR is a better choice than the 4.4mm, but the 4.4mm is a more realistic option for portable use.

Here's an adapter:
https://www.amazon.com/Cores-4-pin-female-adapter-headphone/dp/B078SS9WLT

Most of the balanced HD-800 cables on Amazon are 4 pin XLR, with a few being dual 3 pin XLR and a few being TRRS. 

You could also cut the 4.4mm plug off your HD-800 cable and solder on a 4 pin XLR plug. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline adydula

Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 08:04:39 AM
Thanks Paul...

I just might cut it off and put one in, any you would recommend?

That probably would be the better way to go...

Alex

https://www.parts-express.com/neutrik-nc4mx-male-xlr-connector-nickel-4-pin--092-326

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 08:19:49 AM
The Neutrik plug is just fine for the job.  I know that the stock HD-600 cable is litz wire, so the HD-800 cable may also be.  This just means that each strand of wire may have its own layer of enamel, which you would want to cook through using a solder pot or a very small pocket torch before soldering.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mcandmar

• Not all engineers are civil
Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 01:33:52 PM
My HD800 cable was not litz (thankfully), so it was easy to solder.  Its actually two separate cables in there when you peel back the outer wrap, each two cores with a shield.  The smaller two in the bundle are just stringy rubber to give it body and stress relief.

Neutrik male and female four pins are what you need.  Cut the original connector off with 6" of cable, then attach the female XLR socket to it.  Voila, you now have a converter cable you can plug back on to use the headphone in a conventional TRS amplifier ;)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 01:37:49 PM by mcandmar »

M.McCandless

Offline adydula

Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 02:54:35 AM
Thanks for the info and pix....the HD800s , Senn has changed the balanced cable they include with it.
From what I read there are 2 cables, one with the 6.3mm phone jack and one with a balanced 4.4mm jack.

I probably would canabalize the 4.4 mm balanced cable?

Alex

From their whats in the box:
Cable with 6.35 mm jack plug
Cable with balanced 4.4 mm jack plug
Optional accessory: Cable with balanced XLR-4 connector *$370

Offline diynewbie

Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 12:58:48 AM
Well, the 6.35 jack plug is useful for everything without a balanced output.  The other alternative is to make your own cable, but the connectors to the headphones are ~$40.  Cannibalizing the balanced cable is the cheapest option.   

Offline adydula

Reply #7 on: September 20, 2019, 03:09:04 AM
Thanks for all the input but for now its on the back burner.

I got a set of Focal Clears that come with 3 cables, one with a 4 pin xlr...

Reason I got the Clears was they and the HD800s were the two I was trying to decide which one to get...

The Clears are on sale for $999 to the end of the month, Sept..and come with 3 very nice cables.

So the HD800s are put off for now...

Alex