New chassis has arrived ...

Guest · 815

Deke609

on: October 17, 2019, 07:25:06 AM
... and it's BIG

Here's a shot of the stock BeePre inside the new chassis.

Amazingly, as I play around with layout it is a challenge to make everything fit nicely on a 16" x 20" top plate! The CLCLC B+ filters take a a lot of space, plus the two new filament transformers and their recitifier/smoothing circuits. And moving the fil reg board closer to the tubes (located stock above the PTs).

My plan is do the layout "backwards": tubes at the back and transformers at the front.  The BeeQuiet attenuators will be mounted on a plate stood off from the back wall panel, with really long extenders running through the center to knobs on the front wall. This way all the signal wiring is kept together at the back, with no long runs and nothing close to the transformers or chokes. I plan to add a dividing aluminum wall to separate most of the power supply stuff  from the signal stuff (excluding C4S and regulators which will be above/beside the tubes). The chassis is just over 5" deep, so I'll have some room beneath/above the pot extenders for components if I mount the attenuators toward the bottom of the back wall panel. But a better idea, if I can make it work, is to mount the attenuators vertically, so that when looking at the front face panel the fine is located directly above the coarse. This would free up a lot of space. To make this work, I'll need to shrink the footprint of the attenuators to about 4 inches (stock is about 5). I think I can accomplish this by mounting them approx. 2" apart center to center, rotating them 90 deg., and by putting the connecting terminal strips adjacent to them rather than between and at the ends of them.

In short, it's going to look weird - but I'm ok with that.  ;D

cheers, Derek

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: October 17, 2019, 07:29:42 AM
Why not put a remote volume/input selector kit in there while you're at it?  That would allow you to avoid all those 1/4" rods running through the chassis.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Deke609

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2019, 07:35:36 AM
Why not put a remote volume/input selector kit in there while you're at it?  That would allow you to avoid all those 1/4" rods running through the chassis.

I considered that. But the *Quiet attenuators are really good.  Is there anything RC that would sound as good?

[Edit: And I'm leaving out the input selector - I only use one source. This greatly simplifies the signal wiring. I can always add a selector down the road if i need one]
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 07:37:50 AM by Deke609 »

Offline Gerry E.

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2019, 12:00:38 PM
I considered that. But the *Quiet attenuators are really good.  Is there anything RC that would sound as good?

[Edit: And I'm leaving out the input selector - I only use one source. This greatly simplifies the signal wiring. I can always add a selector down the road if i need one]

I really like the Khozmo RC attenuator used in my custom built preamp:

https://khozmo.com/64_steps_relay_khozmo_attenuator.html

You even get a choice of resistors - I went with the Takman REX.  Coincidently, when I had the preamp built, I too went with a single input due to only using one source.

Gerry     

Deke609

Reply #4 on: October 17, 2019, 12:33:21 PM
I really like the Khozmo RC attenuator used in my custom built preamp: 

Gerry - this is a great help!  Much appreciated!  I'm going to read up a bit about Omron relays. The Khozmo is a definite possibility.

thanks, Derek

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: October 17, 2019, 08:25:58 PM
I have used these on a few builds:

Remote Attenuator

I really like the JV8 kit since you can install your own parts, but you need to be very confident with surface mount component installation to get it to work properly.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man