Source for PEC Pots? Dual 100K Audio Taper

tvr2500m · 1435

Offline tvr2500m

on: November 21, 2019, 02:43:03 PM
I read on these forums about the PEC potentiometers. They look like quality kit at a reasonable price. I got an AN potentiometer for my Crack upgrade, but availability for these is a bit spotty. I can't seem to find a dual 100K audio taper PEC potentiometer. Anyone know where to find one?

Offline Paul Joppa

• Global Moderator

Offline tvr2500m

Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 03:18:35 PM
Thanks, Paul!

Offline pingpongcomputer

Reply #3 on: December 13, 2019, 01:24:43 PM
I just installed this pot and it works great, but the threaded section below the shaft sticks out an extra 1/4" above the top plate.  Hard to tell when looking at knobs online if they will cover it up.  If anyone has already found something that works I'd appreciate a link.  Thanks!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: December 13, 2019, 02:06:49 PM
You can buy some extra nuts and thread them onto the threaded bushing, then that will scoot the pot further below the chassis plate.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #5 on: December 13, 2019, 02:14:08 PM
Hey Ping Pong,
Did the PEC pot come with one shaft nut or two ?
If it comes with only one shaft nut you should get a second nut to space the pot at whatever height above the chassis plate that you would like. place one nut under the plate and use a second nut on top. Adjust as necessary to get the correct height above the plate to mount your knob. As I said before I have not used Pec pots but if the thread is 3/8 inch the thread pitch is probably 32 .
so I would get a second 3/8x 32 shaft nut and you will be all good.
Hope this helps.

Lee R.

Offline pingpongcomputer

Reply #6 on: December 13, 2019, 02:24:47 PM
Thanks for the replies.  The pot only came with 1 nut, but I have some that fit and thought about doing what has been suggested but the prong which keeps the body of the pot from rotating isn't long enough to reach the slot in the top plate if I lower it.   There is a decent bit of resistance when turning the knob, I would hate to rotate the whole assembly and break something.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #7 on: December 13, 2019, 02:35:34 PM
In my experience the anti rotational device may not be necessary. Just tighten the top nut snugly.
And please be careful when you rotate the pot especially when reaching the upper or lower limit of it's travel.
Peace out.

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: December 13, 2019, 02:44:08 PM
You can also add a blob of solder glue that touches the shaft of the pot, the bottom nut, and the bottom surface of the chassis plate.  Once it cures, you're unlikely to break that. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline pingpongcomputer

Reply #9 on: December 13, 2019, 04:07:10 PM
Ok will do. Thanks everybody