Pot upgrade question

A Jedi · 532

Offline A Jedi

on: December 19, 2019, 08:49:43 AM
Hey guys, I want to upgrade the stock pot. I've done a bunch of searches but most threads tend to be pretty old so I don't know if the info is still valid. I plan on using a stepped attenuator but don't have the experience to know which are good and which aren't. I assume Goldpoint are still good? DACT? Any others? Any specific models within a manufacturer's range I should be looking at? I assume I would need a 100K Ohm version? Thanks in advance.

Offline ianp

Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 09:00:55 AM
I used a "Valab 23 Step Ladder Type Attenuator Potentiometer 100K Log Stereo"  which are easy to find on that well known auction site.

Offline Pingu

Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 11:05:46 AM
Hi ,
I used a 100k log blue alps pot it’s good and smooth. You can use a stepped attenuator if you prefer but when I did this on my pre I didn’t notice that much difference. Just make sure whatever you use is a log type not linear as these make the volume control a bit quirky and you’ll need to shunt them with a couple of resistors. Easier to just use log pots
Try this link for upgrades it’s good, simple and well explained;

https://www.headphonesty.com/2019/04/upgrading-bottlehead-crack-headphone-amplifier/#comment-1485

Good luck
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 11:14:05 AM by Pingu »

Offline A Jedi

Reply #3 on: December 21, 2019, 09:26:01 AM
Cool. Thanks guys.