Will the Kaiju work well with Harbeth 30.1 speakers?

Rory · 877

Offline Rory

on: December 28, 2019, 02:07:30 AM
I have a pair of Harbeths 30.1 monitors that are inefficient (85db@1 watt). I understand that the Kaiju cannot be expected to drive these to concert levels but I am wondering if the amp play well with this speaker load at reasonable listening levels. I'm not an expert but it seems the impedance curve and phase profile are not particularly tube-friendly. Has anyone tried this amp with these Harbeths?
Impedance/phase curve, freq response, etc.: https://www.pressreader.com/australia/australian-hifi/20170301/281784218974324
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 02:17:12 AM by Rory »

Offline bernieclub

Reply #1 on: December 28, 2019, 05:26:37 AM
I have a pair of c7-3s which I believe are similar, driven by a Kaiju in a 12ft x 13ft room, near field.    They will play reasonably loud but lack any kind of slam or presence compared to my other higher sensitivity speakers.   That being said, they are absolutely the least fatiguing speakers I've ever lived with, and once you stop concentrating on their deficiencies, they sound like music.
Bernie

Bernie Zitomer

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: December 28, 2019, 11:22:08 AM
8W into 85dB sensitive speakers is ~94dB @ 1M.  It's likely that you can download an SPL meter application to your phone, place it 1M from your speakers, then use its peak hold function and a test track to get a reasonable approximation for how loud that will be.

The impedance curve of that speaker does have some pretty low dips, but fortunately our output transformers can be configured for a wide variety of impedances.  My suggestion would be to consider a strapped pair of Kaijus to give you a bit more power, as well as giving you the flexibility to wire for 4 ohm output without being as worried about losing power.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man