Second time having SEX, not fully consummated but i'm almost there.

Thermioniclife · 727

Offline Thermioniclife

Hey Folk's
I had an early SEX amp that got stolen from me and as most of you will agree the first sex is always the most memorable.
So I decided to buy myself a S3X for Christmas. Not having the ability to leave enough alone I decided to modify it. Here is my tale of having SEX for the second time.
Soooo I decided to build using 6DN7 tubes as I had 9 in my stash. It seems that 6FJ7's are not that available. As a goof I think I will make a pair of octal to compactron adaptors.
I also added 2 more source inputs and an input selector switch in place of the volume control on the top plate.
I then added an output impedance switch to select between 4 and 8 ohms.
Lastly I ordered a BeeQuiet attenuator and modified the front of the wooden base to accommodate it. The amp will reside on a shelf above my bench so I wanted the VC on the front panel.
This required planning and modification of the wood base before gluing up. I will use Molex SL type connectors to separate the amp from the base if needed for repair/ trouble shooting. I will also make a service harness to connect the two when they are separated.
I also have made a harness for using the stock VC while servicing.
Lastly I moved the power switch next to the power inlet and installed the diode mod to thwart my cell phone, computer from noise.
The hole in front of the chassis for the power switch will be covered by a nice Bottlehead Badge.
After the build the resistance and voltage tests were good at 120Vac input set by variac. Having said that my line voltage is 125Vac even during high demand times of the year so you may notice that I installed a 3 terminal strip at the power inlet incase i want to install a ntc thermistor.
My long winded story is over for now as i have to glue up and finish the base.
Peace out my brethren.

Lee R.

Offline Thermioniclife

OOps. I should have posted this in the SEX amp forum.

Lee R.

Offline Thermioniclife

Can you please move this to the SEX amp forum, Thanks.

Lee R.

Offline grufti

No matter where you posted, that is a great amp. Your modifications make complete sense to me. I wish I had thought of building service harnesses before you mentioned it in your post, so clever.

Offline Thermioniclife

Thanks grufti,
Having built somewhat complex devices that had controls on a top cover and the majority of the circuitry in the base, service harness's were a necessity. it makes life more enjoyable to have everything connected while the unit is apart.

Lee R.