Moving To Europe [resolved]

WK3K · 1385

Offline WK3K

• Beginning to see the light...
on: January 22, 2020, 11:29:09 AM
Hi All,

I'm relocating to Copenhagen (230v @50Hz) from the US, so I'm wondering what steps to take to ensure that my Bottlehead gear stays safe. I know that the Crack has a universal transformer that can be rewired (will need new power cord), but it doesn't look like the Reduction and SEX2.1 do. Should I just pick up a standard step-down transformer, or are there other modifications that need to be made? Does a powerstrip into a single transformer work, or should I be getting a separate transformer for each amp? Any transformer recommendations? Thanks so much for your help, I know this probably seems straight forward but I really don't want to fry my gear.

Also, any other Bottleheads out in Copenhagen?

W
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 10:40:48 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Witold

Rega P3-24 w/ Rega Exact > Eros II> Quickie w/PJCCS > Stereomour II w/ DC filament supply > Blumenstein Orca Mini/Max 2.1

MacBook > Grace SDAC > Crack w/ Speedball > Sennheiser HD6XX

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2020, 12:05:13 PM
The current Reduction does have a universal power transformer.  The Sex 2.1 never did have one though. 

A 500VA step down would be more than enough for a SEX amp and a Reduction.  You want to resist the temptation to get something too big though, as the output voltage will creep up if you can't load it down enough.  Do be sure that whatever you get is rated for 50Hz use too. 

A Hammond 289CT with the appropriate plug would work fine, though it's a bit on the expensive side.  It is, however, very convenient to have something premade like that.

(I'll also throw in that you could use this as an excuse to build a new SEX amp and phono preamp ;) )

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline WK3K

Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 12:50:29 PM
Thanks PB. I have the "original" Reduction, so I guess I'm SOL there too.

I do like your recommendation to upgrade to the new versions of the SEX and Reduction... or maybe it's time for the Stereomore and Eros. In for a penny, in for a pound right?

Witold

Rega P3-24 w/ Rega Exact > Eros II> Quickie w/PJCCS > Stereomour II w/ DC filament supply > Blumenstein Orca Mini/Max 2.1

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: January 22, 2020, 02:01:36 PM
Having just upgraded to the Eros from a Reduction, I think the Eros is the right move.

But it’s not my money, so you do you.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: January 22, 2020, 06:42:59 PM
In for a penny, in for a pound right?
In for a Krone, in for a kilogram.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline WK3K

Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 11:55:35 AM
HA! Well put. I guess I'll have to upgrade  ;D. Now just have to find someone to buy my existing amps. Honestly will be sad to let them go, I've been so happy with my system. It's been a few years since I had the pleasure of building a kit. Sounds like just the right thing to pass those long Danish nights.

Witold

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #6 on: January 23, 2020, 12:07:08 PM
Perhaps a long legged Danish woman can help also.

Lee R.

Offline WK3K

Reply #7 on: January 23, 2020, 01:02:08 PM
That will get me into more trouble with the wife than buying the new kits will!  ;)

Witold

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #8 on: January 23, 2020, 01:49:34 PM
I understand your problem. but if you play your cards right you can receive your new bottlehead products during the many months that your wife is mad at you and you can build them in the dog house where you will reside. When she accepts you back you will have new stuff.
I think that's a good plan, maybe its just me.
Perhaps I should not give advise to anyone.
Sorry,
Best wishes on your move.
Regards,
Lee

Lee R.

Offline WK3K

Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 06:07:42 AM
Can't argue with the logic there.

Witold

Offline RayP

Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 06:08:45 AM
I am moving back to Australia (240 v 50 hz) later this year after living in the US for over 30 years. I plan to buy a couple of the following, not so much for my audio hobby, but because we have other expensive or hard to replace items that we plan to take with us. For example, my wife's Juki sewing machine or her 50-year-old pizzelle maker. Note the prices are in Aussie dollars (roughly 70 US cents) and I will get 2000 watt models.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Giantz-1000W-Transformer-Voltage-Converter/dp/B07KQZXWKY/ref=sr_1_3?hvadid=253844635410&hvdev=c&hvlocint=2036&hvlocphy=9008108&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t3&hvqmt=b&hvrand=17357112305760207366&hvtargid=kwd-15428211&keywords=voltage+transformer&qid=1573829294&sr=8-3

Another possibility for you is to replace the transformers in the Bottlehead gear with locally purchased 230 volt transformers with the appropriate output voltage and wattage which you should be able to get from the schematics. The physical size should be similar. Then just store the old transformers if you return to the US.

And yes, I will be getting rid of quite a few 115 volt transformers from my stash.

ray

Ray Perry

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 06:23:42 AM
Another possibility for you is to replace the transformers in the Bottlehead gear with locally purchased 230 volt transformers with the appropriate output voltage and wattage which you should be able to get from the schematics.
That doesn't do enough to get something like an Eros transformer, which is also designed to be very quiet magnetically.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline WK3K

Reply #12 on: January 27, 2020, 08:53:09 AM
Thanks @RayP. I'll keep those transformers in mind for other appliances. On the amps, I've listed my current ones on eBay and will be rebuying kits with the universal power transformers — that way when/if I move back to the US, I'll be covered and won't be adding a bunch of extra gear to the circuit. Plus a good excuse to upgrade ;)

Appreciate everyone's feedback and advice!

Witold

Offline WK3K

Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 06:14:31 PM
Well this is what happens... I've upgraded to the Stereomour and Eros and couldn't be happier. I'll do a more complete write up, but just thought I'd bing this thread full circle.

Witold

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: May 31, 2020, 05:44:16 AM
You lucked out with the width of the space in there!  You couldn't even fit a "wafer thin" mint in there ;)

Paul "PB" Birkeland