Second time having SEX, it was good for me, how about you?

Thermioniclife · 757

Offline Thermioniclife

Hey Folks,
I just finished my S3X and could not be happier. Using speakers the amp was dead quiet before C4s and remains so afterward.
The 8 Ohm setting sounds better than the 4 Ohm setting on my Paradigm Atoms ( I believe they are 6 Ohm imp.)
Using HD650s is awesome, the 4 Ohm output has less gain but has a more linear response than the 8 Ohm setting which has more gain with some bloating in the upper bass and a treble boost, interesting.
I think I will install another 4pdt switch to switch between the C4s and the original plate load resistors.
Modified BeeQuiet works well. I trimmed the bezel and used the "Input" part on the top plate under the input selector.
A brass portrait of Doc B sits to its right.
The chassis plate is done in a utility grey color. I need to touchup the shellac on the front corner of the wood base that my housekeeper decided she should bash against something to give it some character. I've told her it is not necessary to clean in my evil laboratory but I guess she does anyway(I wish she wouldn't) Oh well if this the thing that really bothers me I guess I'm doing ok.
Ok then stay tuned to any of my future S3Xual EXploits.
Peace out.

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 11:13:18 AM
I had a house cleaner kindly remove the cantilever from a Koetsu black some years ago. Now I have locks on important doors.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 11:58:32 AM
Roger that PB, have the same plan in mind.
Thanks for a nice product, Quite enjoyable. My next project is to recreate a Foreplay iii that I used to have, Thanks Eileen for selling me a PT-10 for the project. Now I need to buy a Universal remote control MX-3000 touch screen remote  that I integrated into the wood base to have control of the pre and source components, quite sentimental to me and was pretty cool at the time circa 2007.
unfortunately it was stolen along with my early SEX amp.
I'm very happy to be involved with Bottlehead projects again.
On another side note I have tried 6a3's on my BeePre and am very happy with lack of microphony that the tube exhibits from standing waves in the room. Using flask weights on the 300b helps with physical shock but the sound waves caused a constant ringing which is not present with 6a3's, having said that the 300b sounds better than the 6a3. You had mentioned that you acquired some 6a3's and would try them, what were your results?
Hope to here from you soon.
Lee

Lee R.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 01:26:05 PM
So she turned your turntable into a lathe, did you see a nice spiral of vinyl coming off the stylus?

Lee R.