Subwoofers needed?

oguinn · 1740

Offline oguinn

on: February 08, 2020, 12:04:31 PM
I’m seriously thinking over a pair of Jagers for the new house. I’ve been using a set of Blumenstein Orcas that (in my opinion) needed a subwoofer. For those of you who have Jagers - do you think they need a subwoofer to round out the bass?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 12:16:21 PM
Orcas have a single 3" driver, Jagers have a pair of 8" woofers each.  I agree that Orcas do need a subwoofer unless you're using them on a desktop.

If you can position the Jagers close to your back wall, bass shouldn't be an issue.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 12:28:14 PM
Cool, good to hear. I knew it wasn’t an apples-to-apples comparison with the Orcas, but wanted to provide some context. So I could potentially sell the Orcas and the subwoofer to defray the cost of the Jagers… or like the tax on the Jagers

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #3 on: February 09, 2020, 06:13:27 AM
You don't need a subwoofer with Jagers. The bass from my setup with a Kaiju or with the MonAmours I have been using lately is deep and has plenty of impact. I'm quite pleased with how well the system rocks the bass with 6W MonAmours in the big room (about 24' x 24').

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: February 09, 2020, 06:26:29 AM
I just finished my Kaiju. Please give me at least a month with it before you talk me into MonAmours!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline joepiecuch

Reply #5 on: February 09, 2020, 06:33:52 AM
FWIW, i kept my subwoofer in place when i started using jagers; after a couple of months, i disconnected it while doing some rearranging, and found that i prefer the sound w/o it.

Offline oguinn

Reply #6 on: February 09, 2020, 06:39:16 AM
That’s really good to know. Thanks for that.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #7 on: February 10, 2020, 05:43:15 AM
The thing to keep in mind with any speaker is the room itself has a LOT to do with the bass performance. One nice thing about the Jagers is we have found placement near the front wall to be optimal in most rooms. If your room is like the majority we have put them in that should be the best placement. If your room has serious bass problems (peaks and dips) no speaker is going to work at it's best, and you may need to play around with positioning to get the best bass sound.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.