Kaiju with BeePre and WU Soul Supremes

blubau · 876

Offline blubau

on: February 20, 2020, 11:53:52 AM
I'm thinking of building a Bottlehead system around my WU Soul Supreme speakers.  Anyone heard a PreBee / Kaiju with the WU's I like to hear your comments.

Offline jjvornov

Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 08:13:50 AM
I'm running that exact combo in my system. I've swapped other integrated (audiolab,microZOTL, Stereomour II) and other amps (First Watt) but generally return to that combo. I wasn't looking to change anything again until Doc released the MonAmour and those are being built now.

One of the great things about the Zu line- and I started with a pair of dirty weekend, is that they not really sensitive to the amp driving them, requiring low amounts of power and being pretty high, stable impedance. In fact, my experience is that they are the most placement sensitive speakers I've ever had, with their character changing enormously with small changes relative to walls and listening position in my relatively small listening room/study.

But get the placement right and the combo is the kind of realistic, smooth, 3D projection of sound into the room. I like nearfield best for careful listening, but further back and closer to the rear wall gives a really big broad projection. Never a lack of bass and never gets strident.

Offline BrucePoi

Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 08:53:54 AM
I have that exact combo too, along with a Rogue Ares phono preamp.  My room is pretty good sized at about 20' wide by 28' deep with 9' ceiling, so I don't notice as much in terms of sensitivity to placement, but the system comfortably fills the room, and I agree there's no lack of bass.  I do find that there's probably too much gain in the system, and personally I find the sound to be a little bit better by turning down the input trim controls on the Kaiju a little and using the BeePre at a little higher gain setting, rather than running the Kaiju wide open and lower volume from the BeePre.  Both have all the Bottlehead upgrades as well as foofoo caps.

Offline Chris65

Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 01:45:34 PM
I'm thinking of building a Bottlehead system around my WU Soul Supreme speakers.  Anyone heard a PreBee / Kaiju with the WU's I like to hear your comments.

Do you mean *ZU*??

Offline blubau

Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 11:25:00 AM
Thank you for the replies.  And yes I meant ZU.

This will be my first build, but I am not new to working with tube electronics. So, I'm thinking I'll do a StereomourII and see how that sounds.  Since it's integrated will work well as a start.

Bill