A ton of crackling during startup

oguinn · 1500

Offline oguinn

on: February 22, 2020, 05:24:25 AM
My typical startup procedure is to turn on the BeePre, let it warm up for a bit, then turn on the Kaiju. Before I’d hear absolutely nothing during startup, then music eventually once everything was energized. Now I’m hearing a lot of crackling and popping while the Kaiju energizes - about 3 seconds. It doesn’t happen once the amp gets energized.

Is this an early sign of some bad soldering or is this ok? Maybe just turn the BeePre down until everything is warm?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 05:28:43 AM by oguinn »

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 05:51:50 AM
Is it both channels in the Kaiju?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 05:54:37 AM
I think so, but I’ll pay attention next time it happens. The Kaiju is physically closer to the left speaker so I hear that one for sure when I turn it on since I’m standing next to it.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 05:56:50 AM
It could certainly be a solder joint.  You can poke around in the amp with a wood chopstick while it's running to see if you can fire off the static generation on its own, then that will give you a place to focus on for reheating/reflowing joints.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 06:07:14 AM
Alright. That’ll have to wait until I’m moved into the new house and I have tools accessible to deal with it.

How does your answer change if it’s just one channel or if it’s both?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 06:16:00 AM
If it's one channel, I would have to you swap the 300Bs and try again, then swap the 5670s and try again.  If the startup crackling follows a tube, then you have an answer.  If it follows a 300B, I would recommend reheating the solder joints on the tube pins themselves.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oguinn

Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 06:18:41 AM
Got it. I’ll check next time I start from cold. I turned it off a couple minutes and tried and got no noise at all, so it seems to be fine when it’s warm or has charged caps.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline oguinn

Reply #7 on: February 23, 2020, 08:16:08 AM
Ok, definitely confined to one channel, so I swapped the 300B tube. The noise DID follow the tube. I'll see if I can track down a soldering station in this mess of boxes. Any tips for reheating the pins? Just a few seconds? Do I need to apply any solder to facilitate heat transfer, or will that muck up the pins?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #8 on: February 23, 2020, 08:21:53 AM
Not a little heat, a ton of heat.  There's not a lot to damage there.  The ends of the pins are actually hollow, so you can use just the tiniest bit of solder to get the heat to transfer from your iron into the base pin. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline oguinn

Reply #9 on: February 23, 2020, 08:27:53 AM
Got it. Thanks, Paul.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline oguinn

Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 08:35:29 AM
That seemed to help quite a bit, but didn't knock it out fully. I'll give it another pass a little later.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline oguinn

Reply #11 on: February 24, 2020, 08:27:41 AM
Hey Paul - it appears to have returned on that tube. I went back down to my station, cranked the heat up as high as it'd go, put a little solder on the iron, and held the iron on the end of each of the four pins for about 30 seconds each. It's long enough that the base of the tube gets warm. It still crackles, maybe even more than before.

Am I doing this correctly? Should I get a replacement?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Tom-s

Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 09:09:35 AM
Did the solder in the tube pins actually melt? If not, your effort was futile. IME it takes a whole lot of heat to make a good connection on tube pins.

Offline oguinn

Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 09:15:58 AM
I believe it did. I felt some, for lack of a better word, push back from the pin like something was coming up from the pin and pushing the iron up a bit. It seemed to be floating on something. It's hard to explain.

I can take it back down and spend more time on each pin, though.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #14 on: February 24, 2020, 10:06:23 AM
try 2-3 minutes per pin. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland