help

abaloghtesla · 748

Offline abaloghtesla

on: March 22, 2020, 01:53:45 PM
I am in the process of buying interconnect cable between my Turntable to my Reduction 11 amp and then to my Steromore 11 amp and eventually to my speakers.What type and brand name can I go without being stupid about it.

Offline bernieclub

Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 02:56:14 PM
Blue Jeans cable.   No affiliation, happy customer.

Bernie Zitomer

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 04:04:26 PM
Blue Jeans cable.   No affiliation, happy customer.
+1.  Have them make you some cables with Belden 89259.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 04:27:02 PM
its amazing how helpful everyone is out there. People take time out of their day to help. I will check on supplied info. Thanks!

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 03:01:54 PM
+2 on the Blue Jeans cable.  They feature some of the industry's lowest capacitance in pF per foot, which makes it WAAAY easier to tune your table and your phono pre according to the recommended loading for your cartridge.   The cartridge that I use has a recommended loading of somewhere in the neighborhood of 125pF total.  The stock cables that came with my TT measured north of 380pF, which was far too much for my cartridge.  Doing a cable swap allowed me to load the cartridge properly and led to great improvements in sound quality. 

Eric

Haven't electrocuted myself yet...   
There are ALWAYS User Serviceable Parts Inside!

Offline abaloghtesla

Reply #5 on: March 28, 2020, 04:57:56 PM
Thank you again, but how much cable(in feet) do you need  between phono and pre-amp , and pre-amp to power amp and what kind of wiring to the speakers. I am still using my old Dynacos from my old setup

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #6 on: March 28, 2020, 05:28:41 PM
A lot of the depends on where your components are physically located.  If everything is close together, cabling can be pretty short.  If you have your equipment on a side wall, speaker cables can end up being long, etc.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 05:03:55 AM
My recommendations for Blue Jeans cables was in the context of interconnects between your turn table and pre then fromthe pre to the amp.  Depending on how your equipment is laid out, a 1m pair should suffice between boxes.  Over the years, my equipment rack has grown and I'm starting to wish I had used 1.5m cables when I rewired my turn table (the cables are hard wired on one end) instead of 1m cables.

If you really want to get into some fun, you can make your own interconnects.  A cheap and very nice choice is simply to use a single twisted pair sourced from some Cat5 wire and solder some RCA connectores to the ends.  If you want to go more esoteric, have a look for Chris VenHaus's diy silver interconnects.  I made a number of these (slightly different from Chris' directions) that turned out very well.  Might be more challenging to procure parts right now, though...

The real key, no matter what cables you choose, is to keep low-level audio cables away from AC cables to minimise noise.

Eric

Haven't electrocuted myself yet...   
There are ALWAYS User Serviceable Parts Inside!