System setup

aragorn723 · 572

Offline aragorn723

on: March 26, 2020, 09:00:59 AM
Would my subwoofer sound better if I moved it into the corner and moved the main speakers towards the center?

Dave

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 09:26:20 AM
I mean, if you have ten minutes you could give it a shot.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline aragorn723

Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 05:01:03 PM
Probably will.  I was wondering if there was a theory behind it.  The speakers sound pretty good already, but I'm trying to squeeze more out of them.  For me it helps to know why I'm doing something too.  I guess it's a bit of an intellectual exercise for me.

Dave

Offline Deluk

Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 02:22:06 AM
I'd move the drawer unit close to the main one and bring the speakers out into the room by about a foot. Are they spiked to the floor? They may even benefit from being raised about 9 inches too. Your sub is pretty big so you are limited unless you get the speakers out of the corners and tuck it in behind. You don't want it adding resonance to the speaker box on that side though. Maybe a more compact rack could be considered?

Offline aragorn723

Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 02:41:51 AM
The drawer unit is going into our closet, so that will be out of the picture.  The speakers are spiked, but I'll definitely try moving them out too.  Eventually I'll swap the rack out.  It's kind of bowed in the middle (cheap Ikea furniture lol).  Maybe something like this:

https://www.audioadvisor.com/mobile/prodinfo.asp?number=SMA5&variation=CHE

Dave

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 02:41:25 PM
I would echo what others have said.  Move the sub to the corner, this is likely to add several decibels of boundary reinforcement to the output.  This may or may not be welcome, depending on the specifics of your room and audio system. 

For your speakers, arrange them symmetrically in the recess of the room, move them further away from the side walls and closer to the center and pull them out a bit from the back wall as well.  This is likely to improve the sound stage.  While you are at it, play with the toe in a little to see if that makes any improvement for you.  I also couldn't tell from the image, but you've stated that the table is bowed.  Grab a level and make sure that your turn table is sitting level (middle of the bow).  You might also be able to slip a block of wood under the center of the table to remove the bow a little.  Paint if brown so it blends in a little.

Each of these changes is likely to have some impact on what you hear - it will be up to you to judge whether or not you like these changes...
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 02:44:10 PM by EricS »

Eric

Haven't electrocuted myself yet...   
There are ALWAYS User Serviceable Parts Inside!

Offline aragorn723

Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 03:41:45 PM
So far I moved the sub to the corner, and moved the speakers out from the back wall by 1 ft.  WOW.  I can hear so much more detail in the treble and miss ( heard things I've never heard in recordings before) and the bass tightened up too.  The soundstage is much bigger also.  Will have to double check the turntable level too.  So far I'm pretty blown away by the change, for both analog and digital sources.

Dave