Eros 2 with foreplay 2 ?

b.tyrannus · 427

Offline b.tyrannus

on: March 31, 2020, 12:33:27 PM
Hello friends,
Looking for some thoughts on a new phono preamp to got with my old foreplay 2.
Really happy with my current system, but an old 2nd hand diy 6dj8 phono preamp is motor boating my woofers.  Not good.  No sound required, so I believe it’s the tube power supply that needs work.  I want to take my time with that.

In the meantime, I have a dozen great 6dj8 tubes, and am considering the Eros 2. 

Anyone tried the foreplay 2 / Eros 2 combination?  Would the reduction be a better choice?
Thanks - stay well!

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 12:47:44 PM
The Eros is just flat out a better phono preamp than the Reduction and originally the Eros was released back when the Foreplay III was a product.  The Eros 2 and Foreplay II will work together quote nicely. 

On the other hand, I think there may be Reductions available to ship immediately, so if you're stuck inside and you need a quick project to knock out, that would certainly favor a Reduction.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline b.tyrannus

Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 02:13:44 PM
Great to hear that both will work.  I’m lucky to be working as usual, but will chew on this on the weekend!

Offline DrewTube

Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 04:48:53 AM
I have an Eros 1 paired with an Extended Foreplay III and it works and sounds great!  I would expect an Eros 2 with a Foreplay II would be just dandy.

My only issue has been a significant over-abundance of gain with my high output cartridge, but that's been solved.  See https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=11862