Any use for this spare Stereomour?

oguinn · 3118

Offline oguinn

on: April 02, 2020, 10:25:58 AM
I have a Stereomour II I couldn't bring myself to part with even though I'm not really using it. Someone in the active crossover thread mentioned using the Stereomour to power the tweeters and a Kaiju to power the woofers. 1) is that a practical application of the Stereomour and the Kaiju with the Jagers?, 2) I assume that would require a crossover to accomplish. In the absence of the active crossover (... unless that's coming), would something like the NHT X2 work here, or do I need a different piece of gear to make it work?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Jamier

Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 10:43:55 AM
Jameson, your X2 has a max high-pass frequency of 220 Hz. The jaegers are crossing much higher than that I would think.
 You can still use it to cross your jaegers to subs. Active jaegers and actively crossed stereo subs: That would be Bitchen!
Jamie
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 10:46:29 AM by Jamier »

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 10:45:02 AM
Shoulda just emailed you for advice on the X2 ;)

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Jamier

Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 10:48:35 AM
Read my previous post. I added some more.

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 10:50:37 AM
Oh nice. I sold my one small powered sub (it was part of an old Yamaha system I didn’t feel compelled to move with us to the new house) so I’ll have to wait on new subs for a bit. I kept the X2, though, since it wasn’t super easy to find in the wild.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Jamier

Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 10:56:14 AM
Keep your SII. You will get the urge to go active and when you do you’ll be most of the way there.Kaiju, SII, active jaegers, active x’d subs. That would be a hard system to beat at any price.
And don’t sell your X2. You will kick your own ass someday for that.

Jamie
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 11:02:53 AM by Jamier »

James Robbins

Offline oguinn

Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 11:00:12 AM
Yeah, for sure. I've got it nicely boxed up for now. I'd just have to repaint the bells and the transformers to match the others in the set. If inspiration strikes and you have any suggestions on how to incorporate the SII with the Kaiju, let me know!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Jamier

Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 11:08:52 AM
I don’t have jaegers, but you might be able to passively biamp with those amps right now. Ask PB. You need separate binding posts for the tweeters and woofs. It won’t play any louder but you will get the 2A3 character in the tweeters which you might like, who knows?

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Jamier

Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 11:10:59 AM
Oh yeah, you’ll want a good preamp if you do that. Do you still have the Smash?

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 11:11:17 AM
Try it by doing it the easy way. Take the output signal from your preamp and split it into two legs with a y splitter if the preamp does not have two outputs. One run leg to the SII, one to the Kaiju. At the stock passive crossover do not jumper the tweeter in and woofer in together, keep them separate. Then just run the signal from the SII to the tweeter in on the crossover, signal from Kaiju to woofer in on the crossover. Will it sound better than the Kaiju running both? Let us know.

FWIW I plan to do this but with MonAmours instead of a SII once I feel like we are keeping up with orders. Thanks to everyone for keeping us so busy lately!

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 11:13:41 AM
Thanks, Doc. I’ll give that a shot once the cabinets are together. The wood work is my least favorite part so I’m dragging my feet a bit (just a bit, I’ve only had the kit since Tuesday).

And Jamie - I have a BeePre but got rid of the Smash.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Jamier

Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 11:17:22 AM
Oh, even better!

Jamie

James Robbins

Offline Jamier

Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 12:41:00 PM
Which begs the question: Doc, what is the status of the Jaeger active x-over? I think Jameson is good to go.

Jamie
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 12:43:25 PM by Jamier »

James Robbins

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 12:44:32 PM
There is a power transformer for an upcoming product that makes way, way more sense to use in the active x-over project, and I have plans to grab a few from the first batch for this.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #14 on: April 02, 2020, 01:55:39 PM
Nice!

Jameson O'Guinn

-