Jäger Build Notes

oguinn · 4184

Offline oguinn

on: April 03, 2020, 06:18:30 AM
I wanted to share a few notes as I progress through the build so future builders can benefit.

• The inductor leads on mine were a bit short. Where I needed to, I soldered wire to the lead ends to make them fit.
  • I used a QuadHands workstation and that helped me keep the wires somewhat organized. You’re going to need something since you end up with a lot of long, thin wires.
  • The packing on the kit was really, really nice. The boxes obviously went through some hell getting here but everything arrived in great condition. Kudos to the team on that.
  • The dry fit is so, so critical. Even after I thought I worked out the kinks, though, some things shifted somehow when I added glue. I was frantically scrambling to “persuade” pieces into place. A rubber mallet was super helpful.
  • I bought a large moving blanket and used that as my assembly area. That seems to have worked just fine
  • I’d also recommend assembling where the speakers will live. The 150 pound shipping weight isn’t a lie, and hauling these things up the steps once completed would be a big ordeal

Really looking forward to finishing these over the next week or so. I’ll post more notes as I have them.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline oguinn

Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 07:47:24 AM
Second cabinet done. And like most things you do twice, the second time was much easier. The thing I tried this time that really made my life easier was to not lock the cams until everything was in place. It was a little tougher to reach, but I was able to move much faster and not have issues where the pieces weren't as easy to move into position.

I also used a lot more glue.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 07:57:48 AM
Picture of the glued-up cabinets and my exhausted helper.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline jtori

Reply #3 on: April 03, 2020, 10:43:20 AM
Nice!  Your friend looks dog tired from helping assemble them.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 01:56:36 PM
Great tips, Jameson. The two things I'll offer about the glue are 1) wiping up any glue that squeezes out of the joint onto the outside of the cabinet with a damp cloth before it dries is helpful and 2) running another bead onto the insides of the joints once the original glue is dry can help to assure the cabinet is air-tight. You don't want air leaking out (or in) anywhere except the ports.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 01:59:17 PM
There do seem to be some small gaps between the face and the rest of the cabinet, so I do plan to add even more glue in there (somehow - that’s a tight fit!)

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 03:49:31 PM
I put a dab of glue on the tip of my finger and just run it along the inside seam wherever I can't apply it right from the bottle, like along the front panel seams up by the tweeter.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: April 03, 2020, 03:58:21 PM
If you want an excuse to buy more tools (which I usually do), there are syringes that work really well for this.  You can even use a shop vac and pieces of cardboard over the holes in the cabinet to pressurize the interior with negative pressure so the glue gets sucked into the cracks. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 04:55:31 PM
Good call, I just picked up some syringes. Our shop vac is at my parents’ house across the state so I might have to skip that one, unfortunately.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline oguinn

Reply #9 on: April 07, 2020, 11:30:18 AM
Quick question - the cotton insulation I received doesn't match the measurements in the manual. I ended up with a 29" overall instead of 32". I have two 8" square pieces, two 8"x12" pieces, and a remaining piece that will be two 8"x9" pieces. Is that alright? Any preference on where the 8"x9" pieces go if so?

I’m currently putting one behind each tweeter
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 12:37:43 PM by oguinn »

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 05:33:28 PM
Pull on it a little. The stuff gets scrunched up in the packaging and needs to be stretched out a bit. There should be a piece wedged in the top of the cabinet above the port, and a similar one at the bottom of the cabinet under the bottom port. Make all four of those about the same size. If you can't stretch them out a little make them all 8 x 10.5. The third piece in each cabinet goes behind the upper woofer, not behind the tweeter. Use the 8" square for that. Don't worry about exact measurements, just put the same sized piece in each position in the two cabinets.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #11 on: April 08, 2020, 08:19:03 AM
Thanks, Doc. All finished!

I've got the Stereomour II on tweeter duty for now. I think I like it better this way. It seems like the highs are more detailed (I heard parts in Talking Heads' Slippery People that I'd never heard before, and that's my test track for any new piece of equipment), and the bass feels more weighty. It's entirely too early to tell for sure.

Overall I'm very pleased with the sound. I'm not over the moon with the finishing job I did, but that's on me.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #12 on: April 08, 2020, 08:30:00 AM
The collection is growing!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #13 on: April 08, 2020, 08:31:52 AM
I think it's done growing for a bit. We have a baby on the way, and I feel like the little guy plus the new house will put a significant crimp on my freewheeling audio spending.

I still have that Mainline in the closet, though...

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #14 on: April 08, 2020, 10:01:50 AM
Congrats! I like the look. Looks like with a little more clear finish they will match up nicely with the rest of the gear.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.