Wrinkle Paint and Transformers

tvr2500m · 1133

Offline tvr2500m

on: April 03, 2020, 09:44:33 AM
I'm considering painting the silver metal bits of the topside transformers of my S3X a wrinkle finish; likely black. That would be the power transformer bell and the output transformer mounting frames only. Wrinkle paint can require a bit of heating for best wrinkling results, something around hair blow drier max temp, around 170'ish degrees F. Or a bit of a bake in an over at this temp.

I'm confirming whether these transformers - really, only the output transformers - can manage this heat and won't be damaged.

If not, I'll just move on to another plan.

Thanks.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 10:13:39 AM
The plate chokes sit up top and would be what you'd want to paint.  The transformers themselves aren't going to be bothered by that heat, but the PVC insulation on the wires coming out of them might not appreciate it as much.  You don't really want to take PVC up beyond about about 120F. 

Having said all that, you could buy some fiberglass sleeving of a fairly large diameter and temporarily slide it over the lead out wires and up into the transformer, then use a hair dryer to heat the part.  That would be far less risky and the fiberglass will offer some protection for the wires.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline tvr2500m

Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 10:55:27 AM
Thanks, Paul. Doh! So those are the plate chokes above deck, and the output xformers below. You mean those squiggly things that look like PT, PC, and OT mean something?!

I think I'll go, then, towards plan b. Maybe a hammer-tone black would be nice. Or, just clean up the metal and clear coat for an au natural silver.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 11:52:27 AM by tvr2500m »

Offline Deluk

Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 01:44:03 AM
Wrinkle paint can look very nice when fresh but not so good later on when it has suffered from dusty fall out. It's hard to keep clean.

Offline Natural Sound

Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 10:43:35 AM
Thanks, Paul. Doh! So those are the plate chokes above deck, and the output xformers below.

I think I'll go, then, towards plan b. Maybe a hammer-tone black would be nice. Or, just clean up the metal and clear coat for an au natural silver.

I really like the hammer finish paints. If you go that route I'd recommend letting the parts dry for at least two weeks. That stuff stays soft for a long time. Let it set up properly and it becomes hard and very durable.

Offline tvr2500m

Reply #5 on: April 06, 2020, 11:58:15 AM
Agreed on the wrinkle paint thing. My intersection with it has largely been automotive, having owned many cars that originally use wrinkle finishes for some engine and interior parts. Of course, I've also seen it used on lots of electrical gizmos. I think it looks great. Yes, lot of crannies and nooks to collect gook.

Also agreed on allowing finishes to cure, in this case hammered finishes. I occasionally will bake the finish to cure it. Works great. Hard, durable finish.

Maybe a hammered brown, reminiscent of a H-K Citation II? Or even a solid brown, identical to the Cit II?

I'm thinking a hammered finish or clear coat... Which one...??!! Hmm...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 12:05:27 PM by tvr2500m »

Offline jtreynol

Reply #6 on: April 07, 2020, 06:53:37 PM
tvr2500m: For what it's worth, I "leaned forward" a bit and painted my transformer and plate chokes with engine enamel, and cured them in an oven at about 200 deg F for an hour. No apparent damage was incurred, and to my eyeballs they look pretty nice. I posted on this last year: https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=11521.0

Just consider it a data point.. I'm not arguing with Paul! I decided it was worth the risk in my case..

John

Offline jtreynol

Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 07:34:42 AM
Just realized that my previous post wasn't entirely clear.. The only parts that went in the oven were the cover (bell) for the transformer, and the plate chokes.

John