Anyone use SEX as a Preamp?

Cary · 988

Offline Cary

on: April 05, 2020, 08:36:07 AM
After reading the post of turning the Stereomour into a preamp, has anyone used the SEX as a preamp? How did it sound?

Offline calsaint

Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 11:04:20 AM
I'm going to try the SEX 3.0 as a pre/head-amp.
I love it with my Audeze LCD-2Cs, but have wanted to use some of my other amps for my speakers for a bit while keeping the SEX in the chain. I have a number of amps and speakers around that are getting dusty and deserve some time.

I just picked up a 1/4 - 2 RCA male cable from Blue Jeans for like $35 that will facilitate this effort. 

I'll report back on how things play out. I'm guessing it'll be great.

-Steve

Offline calsaint

Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 12:06:23 PM
as expected - excellent.
If you've got some less efficient speakers and another amp around and you want to rotate them into the rig on occasion, I recommend giving the SEX a shot in the pre position.
The only cost for me was the budget cable from BJC.
I found it in their site as a BJC MSA-1 Miniature Stereo Audio Cable, and selected the terminations that fit my setup.

thx/Steve

Offline Cary

Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 06:04:52 AM
I have been using the SEX as a pre for a couple of weeks using a $.99 adapter from Parts Express. It sounds really great with a TPA3116 amplifier. Using the Quicksand the sound has overextended highs. Lots of gain with it. Fun experimenting with this combo.

Cary