Removing wood glue residue

oguinn · 570

Offline oguinn

on: April 05, 2020, 12:14:06 PM
I must have done a bad job and missed some wood glue squeeze out when gluing up my Jägers. What are some ways people have used to remove excess glue residue? I tried wiping with a rag with some acetone on it. Maybe I need to let it soak in a bit?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline kgoss

Reply #1 on: April 05, 2020, 12:33:09 PM
Well when it’s wet wood glue cleans up nicely with a wet sponge. Sounds like the spots you missed have dried though. If there are beads you can carefully scrape them with a cabinet scraper which you probably don’t have. Look at pictures online and see if you have something close. If its thin or after scraping light sanding will remove the rest.  Be very careful no to sand through the veneer though.  I have no idea if acetone or any other chemical will remove it. But again be careful of veneer damage from any chemical.

Ken Goss

Offline oguinn

Reply #2 on: April 05, 2020, 01:27:30 PM
Yeah, it’s dried and it isn’t big globs. Just some smear

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline oguinn

Reply #3 on: April 05, 2020, 01:32:57 PM
Maybe I’ll try a heat gun?

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #4 on: April 05, 2020, 01:43:44 PM
Sanding.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #5 on: April 05, 2020, 03:18:12 PM
If it's a bead that oozed out take it off with an xacto knife. If it got wiped into the grain, PB is right that sanding will be the best way to get it out of the grain. Try about 220 grit.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline EricS

• My DIY Home Theater
Reply #6 on: April 06, 2020, 04:42:27 PM
Been there and done that about a million times before.  I try to keep after it during glue-up with a damp sponge, but inevitably some always escapes clean up, no matter how hard I try.  This bit usually hides under the clamps.  Careful and gentle sanding removes the rest - 220 grit as Doc indicated will be fine.   

Eric

Haven't electrocuted myself yet...   
There are ALWAYS User Serviceable Parts Inside!