New Crack build - question right off the bat [resolved]

Mr. Electric Wizard · 3123

Offline Mr. Electric Wizard

On Part 2 of the assembly, I am supposed to use a short #8 bolt (non self tapping) but the bolt I have is a different thread pitch and the nut will not screw on.
I verified the nuts work by attaching them all to one of the longer bolts for the power supply.
Question:
I have a stainless bolt that is the same size/thread pitch as the one that came with the kit.
Generally stainless steel is not a great conductor but the way I see it the nuts and washers are what's making the connection to the chassis.
What do you think?  Is it okay to use a stainless bolt for the chassis ground?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 05:30:39 AM by Paul Birkeland »

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 02:35:05 PM
The self tapping bolt that you use to make threads in the 6 lug terminal strips looks a lot like the short #8 bolt that you need to use for the ground lugs.  A #8 nut will not thread onto the self tapping screw, so that is why I'm suggesting that you have likely mistaken that for the short 8-32 screw that needs to be used for that part of the build.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 02:42:31 PM
It seems fairly obvious (or maybe not  ;D ) which one the self tapping screw is.
The self tapping screw is more of a gray color (as opposed to the silver of the other) and has the cut outs by the tip with more of a taper.
Pretty sure I am using the correct machine screw unless the wrong one got packed.
The nut that I'm trying to use screws on fine to the longer ones used for the power supply.

Reply #3 on: April 15, 2020, 03:30:24 PM
So, a stainless steel bolt for the chassis ground.
Acceptable or not?  kit lockwashers were used on both sides of the solder piece.

Offline Deluk

Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 11:09:59 PM
I can't see a problem with using SS. It's probably just down to cost as to not supplying them with the kit. The opposite is Doc using SS on his Bonneville salt bike to combat corrosion, and the fact that bikers like SS on their bikes.  8)

Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 02:49:29 AM
I figured it was okay, but just wanted to double check.
I went on with the build in any case.   8)
Got everything bolted to the chassis last night.  It's actually starting to look like something now.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #6 on: April 16, 2020, 05:37:15 AM
Sorry about the screw. It must have been misthreaded. SS is fine.

As to SS screws for bikes, yes I use them because I race on salt. The corrosion factor is insane. Check out Bumax. That's what's holding the engine in my race bike.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Reply #7 on: April 16, 2020, 11:58:17 AM
No problem, I had another on hand.
My next issue is that I don't see a bare buss wire in my kit.
I have a set of white, green, red, and black each, but no bare.

The only package I haven't opened is the one for the Speedball (going to build it stock before I apply the Speedball).
What gauge and what type (stranded vs not) do I need for a buss wire?
I have lots of wire around.

I found some small rods that are used to actuate the flaps on a model airplane. 
Pretty sure it's steel but it's small enough to go through the hole with some room to spare.
This should work right?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 12:18:39 PM by Mr. Electric Wizard »

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #8 on: April 16, 2020, 12:40:38 PM
It's a little 6" long piece of bare wire that is usually bent in a u shape and put in the bag with the other wire. Sorry if we missed it. You can just strip some of the other wire to make a bare wire. We supply about 10% more length of each type of wire than is specified in the kit build. So you could probably cut what you need from the black or red.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 12:51:16 PM
The wire being gone could have very well been my fault.  Who knows.
I think this piece of wire is going to work fine.  It's solid core, albeit really stiff.
I made it work though.  Thanks for the replies Doc!

Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 01:39:24 PM
Dang, now the fuse is bad.  I was wondering why I was getting no incoming voltage under the IEC.
Then removed the fuse and did a continuity test.  No juice flowing through the fuse.

Will a generic T1L250V fuse work, or does it need to be something more specialized?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 02:03:26 AM by Mr. Electric Wizard »

Reply #11 on: April 17, 2020, 02:43:13 AM
Bump for bad fuse specs.
Where can I get a fuse?

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #12 on: April 17, 2020, 03:02:55 AM
did you check the fuse for continuity with an Ohm meter?
You need to install the fuse in the clips of the PEM cover. If you place the fuse in the enclosed tunnel it will not work, that space is to store a spare fuse.

Lee R.

Deke609

Reply #13 on: April 17, 2020, 03:44:06 AM
Will a generic T1L250V fuse work, or does it need to be something more specialized?

Yeah. A T1AL250V is a 5mm x 20mm 1 amp fuse, so it should work perfectly. I would buy a 5 pack, just in case the fuse wasn't bad, but blew instantly b/c something is connected to ground that shouldn't be -- for example, b/c of a wiring mistake or a wire clipping stuck somewhere (giving the chassis a good shake with the electronics facing down and at different angles usually fixes the latter problem).

cheers, Derek

Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 04:18:50 AM
Thanks so much for the reply!
I doubt it's any wiring being bad, as I have only soldered on the buss bar and the first black wire from the IEC to the switch, and the wire from the ground lug to terminal 16.
I'll go ahead and order a 5 pack.