Changing Buzz in One Channel [resolved]

gabriel · 803

Offline gabriel

on: April 27, 2020, 05:52:49 AM
I just completed assembly of the S.E.X. 3.0 w/o c4s.  It's almost working as expected.  The left channel has a slight buzz that changes with the volume.

Oddly it does not simply increase with volume.  With no source playing it gets louder until about 3/4 of maximum volume then drops off almost completely beyond.  It is not a linear increase in buzz.  It has a distinct peak in loudness right before going away.

I read a comment about the Crack amplifier and was wondering if the same could be said about the S.E.X. amplifier.  There is very little in the amp before the volume control.  I've checked / reheated the soldering on the input jacks.  I can/will do the same for the soldering on the pot, but the connections look good to me.

Your hum has to be entering before the volume control; either the source, cabling, or wires from the jacks to the potentiometer. If it was in the circuit, then the volume pot wouldn't affect it.
https://forum.bottlehead.com/index.php?topic=9716.msg90393#msg90393

I've also swapped the tubes and the buzz stays on the left channel, so it's not the tube.  Any ideas what to check?  All voltage, resistance, glow checks pass perfectly.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 03:07:38 PM by Paul Birkeland »

Online Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 05:57:09 AM
That is indicative of a loose or missing wire from RCA jacks to pot to the terminal strips.  If you have a disconnected ground wire, that's the exact issue you'll get.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline gabriel

Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 01:55:09 PM
Thank you so much Paul.  Re-soldering the ground wires at the RCA input and the pot fixed it.