What's your most comfortable pair of Headphones?

Mr. Electric Wizard · 2109

Offline Mr. Electric Wizard

on: May 06, 2020, 07:28:17 AM
I know the list of acceptable headphones for this amp is not super long, but what's your most comfortable pair?
I use mine with a pair of Sennheiser HDXX (the Massdrop from a couple of years ago).
They sound awesome but are not the most comfortable headphones I've ever used.

Offline FS

Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 08:25:04 AM
Any of the BeyerDynamic headphones seem to be the most comfortable to me.
Cheers,
FS

Reply #2 on: May 06, 2020, 10:12:03 AM
I just made an impulse buy of some Beyerdynamic T1 Gen. 2's.
thinking about selling my HD6XX's.  They just don't quite fit my head correctly and cause pain in the bones directly in front of my ears.
Hopefully the T1's fit the bill.

Offline Raymond P.

Reply #3 on: May 06, 2020, 11:26:04 AM
If the HD6XX discomfort is due to the clamp force, I learned of a way to reduce it -  extend the cups out all the way to expose the metal bands and while holding just the metal portion, bend the metal band on each side one at a time.

Raymond P.

Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 11:58:06 AM
Yeah, I've been down that road already and bent them several different ways.
They're way better than they were when I first got them, but still just a little uncomfortable for longer stretches.
They press down on the bones just to the insides of my ear lobes.  Maybe my head is just a funny shape.
They sound awesome though.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 11:59:49 AM by Mr. Electric Wizard »

Offline Tofu

Reply #5 on: May 06, 2020, 03:43:57 PM
Currently my main is a pair of Beyer T90s, once the pads are broken in I forget I'm wearing them, though the downside being pads will only last about 4-6 years of daily usage, with replacements costing about $40, also had to replace the headband cushion on mine as it was falling apart, hopefully they addressed that with the replacement.
Also really enjoy the DT990s, just got new pads for those, which seem stiffer than I remember but I also don't remember how stiff the pads were originally, so I figure they will break in with time.

Only downside to high end Beyers is they can be a bit treble heavy, personally not an issue for me as I feel the Crack tames the 8-10khz spike the T90s have quite a bit, while really letting the low end shine. But with a lower end amp was definitely fatiguing to listen to for long periods. Reviews say there's a similar treble spike for the T1s, but I don't think it'll be an issue when combined with the Crack.

Reply #6 on: May 06, 2020, 04:15:40 PM
I have heard that as well.
We'll see.  8)

Reply #7 on: May 08, 2020, 09:10:26 AM
Well I got my T1's today.
They are indeed very well made and very comfortable.
I was expecting to need to crank the volume knob more with these new headphones since they are double the impedance of my old HD6XX phones but the 600 ohm impedance had little effect on the volume knob.  This sort of blew my mind.  Just shows how little I understand about headphone impedance.  :)

Offline Tom-s

Reply #8 on: May 08, 2020, 09:48:34 AM
I'm a fan of Sennheisers HD800 / HD700 type of cups. They are very very comfy.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #9 on: May 08, 2020, 01:20:36 PM
I find the HD800s very comfy. Although it took a while to get used to the giant pads, which can make your face pretty warm.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline jtori

Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 01:24:10 PM
Since you're posting in the Crack forum, I'm going to recommend the ZMF Auteur.  I've got a pair and they are extremely comfortable.  The clamping force is much less than that of the HD600/650, but is sufficient to keep them in place.  Additionally, there is ample room for your ears and the leather pads don't induce any sweating.  Finally, their impedance and sensitivity make them ideally suited for use with the crack.  And, they sound great with the amp!  Bottom line: supremely comfortable, high-performing headphone! 

Offline johnsonad

Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 02:57:10 PM
HD 800’s of the limited cans I still own.

Aaron Johnson

Offline caffeinator

Reply #12 on: May 09, 2020, 04:05:01 AM
I have a number of over the ear and IEMs and have had many others over the years. Of all the over the ear, my Sennheiser HD600s still are the most comfortable for me. I also have some HD6XX I got from Massdrop, which are pretty close - they have some aftermarket pads which make them feel different. Not better or worse, just different.

It's a nice bonus that the HD600s also have a great sound which I really like. Since I've had them quite a long time, their sound and comfort have become my de facto reference for any other headphones I own or try.

Reply #13 on: May 09, 2020, 01:28:22 PM
I have a number of over the ear and IEMs and have had many others over the years. Of all the over the ear, my Sennheiser HD600s still are the most comfortable for me. I also have some HD6XX I got from Massdrop, which are pretty close - they have some aftermarket pads which make them feel different. Not better or worse, just different.

It's a nice bonus that the HD600s also have a great sound which I really like. Since I've had them quite a long time, their sound and comfort have become my de facto reference for any other headphones I own or try.

Which aftermarket pads did you get for your HD6XX's?

Offline caffeinator

Reply #14 on: May 10, 2020, 01:49:41 AM
They were available as an option with the headphones, so I suppose they are a Massdrop product. They were called the 'hybrid velour' pads.