READY! How does the Eros sound?

arisrock · 587

Offline arisrock

on: May 14, 2020, 09:19:30 AM
I am sharing this experience for those who are considering building the EROS.

I'll start by saying that in the system I'll be using it, the EROS is the single cheapest component. The turntable (Rega RP6), the Amp combo (Naim 72/hi-cap/140), the streamer/DAC (Auralic Aries / Vega) and the speakers (Larsen 6.2) all cost at least 2X-5x at minimum it's price.

I have been using the on-board Naim 72 phono board in the pre-amp, and I've been annoyed by the fact my streamer/DAC streaming Tidal sounds better than my records - as that demotivates me from playing records - despite the fact I prefer the ritual of record playing.

Enter EROS. After, well, 15 minutes of warm up and no prior burn-in, using cables half the price my streamer combo (for now) I can confidently say, records sound better than the digital chain.

EROS brought a new level of transparency, delicacy, depth and expansiveness to the sound with all my records. From Nils Frahm and Talk Talk, to '50s blues records or HipHop. It also brought a focus to all the voices on records with both female and male voices that previously was missing.

Records + Eros + Rega RP6 with $50 interconnects beat Auralic Vega + Auralic Aries + $300 cables.
Glowing Tube magic: 1 vs Cold Bits: 0

Thank you Bottlehead team and the community who commented and helped me build it.
Can't wait to build more glowing tube things from Bottlehead.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 09:21:11 AM
I had a similar setup back in the day (72/140/SBL).  Which Frahm album is your favorite?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline arisrock

Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 09:24:11 AM
nice! "Felt" was the one that got me into Nils Frahm and still gets me zoned in completely, but I really like his new "All melody" too. what's yours?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 09:25:29 AM
All Melody is my current favorite, but I haven't heard Felt. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline sl-15

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 07:39:53 AM
Thanks for the Nils Frahm suggestion! I am a Max Richter fan but never heard Frahms before. Nice stuff. I recommend his opening live set at Dimensions festival.

Stefan Hampel
Soundsmith Carmen, modded Technics SL-1200mkII, Thorens TD 125 mk2 with SME V, Eros, Extended Foreplay III, BeePre2, Crack, Pioneer Spec 4, Sonus Faber Electa