Stereomour II Serenity

Cascadian · 1154

Offline Cascadian

on: May 15, 2020, 09:23:52 AM
Hey folks,

I really need to start off my first post here by giving kudos to my past self for having the foresight to stash such a majestic beast of a project in a box in my closet just in case a pandemic hit. Seriously, what luck! I must also give a shout out to Eileen for packing both the Stereomour II and Crack kits plus addons to perfection! This is not as easy as it looks.

I finished this build about a month ago. With all the time in the world, it was a very zen-like experience, kind of like what I imagine trimming a bonsai might be like. I had originally planned on waiting to build this until I moved into a larger place and bought or made some high efficiency speakers, perhaps some cornscalas might be nice! With the advent of the pandemic I thought, why not now?

Having already built the crack with speedball I was familiar with how it would go. I’m a technologist by profession and have amassed some aptitude at this stuff and understand that it is often the details in electronics that count, not only in the build, but also the great design by Paul and the gang. Real good stuff. I built the stock kit, measured it, hooked it up to my late-run dynaco a25s wth updated seas tweeters (I’d estimate these speakers come in at 91dB sensitivity) and not expecting much, was blown away! Of course, I had to adjust the hum pots at first but wow, I couldn’t believe the lushness of this amp with the pair of less than ideal transducers! I've had experience with amplifiers being matched up to less than ideal loads before and understand when they sound starved, but shockingly none of that was present here!

But on to what I will be using this with into the interim before I move into my dream home sometime in the future, driving my AKG K501s! Don't worry Doc, I spent an ample amount of time before upgrading both addons to make sure I full appreciate the differences. That's a very important part of this hobby and where knowledge is gained. I would have loved to spend a bit more time between upgrades but such is life during these times. I installed the DC filament addon as well as the shunt regulator (what an addition! Much like the speedball) and cobbled together an adapter cable with parts lying around. OMG. I have never heard this quality of soundstage delivered by these cans before thanks to the much more than adequate power of the Stereomour II. Plus, the lower ranges came alive with vigor and punch! These old cans are notorious for very anemic bass but here it is. Wow. The stereomour ii with dc filament upgrade (and shunt regulator!) is an amazing amplifier for power hungry headphones and even though the volume knob stays almost at the minimum, it really seems to make a difference having the immediate power at bay. You would think there would be some noise down at these meager volume levels, but none is to be found. Absolute black silence. Amazing!

Anyways I’ll stop gushing and post my build. I utilized the same wood finishing I had great luck with when building my Crack, birchwood Casey tru-oil as recommended by Doc himself. And I can see why.. not only does it produce a beautiful blonde colour, bringing out the beautiful alder wood details, but it hardens the wood as well! Fantastic stuff. Plus I like the smell.. i know i know.. i probably shouldn't huff it.  8)

I'm not debating between the Mourquiet and grabbing an upgraded volume and balance pot from partsconnexion up here in Canada. The only reason I may not splurge for the Mourquiet is because I'd have to give up the balance control which can come in handy at times. I was thinking of utilizing the Audio Notes 100k volume pot and balance pot as substitutes. Can anyone sway me towards the Mourquiet? Does it go on sale? Daddy likes the top plate that comes with it.

Anyways, hope you enjoy the build pics.. how'd I do?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 10:01:02 AM by Cascadian »

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 09:27:10 AM
It really shows that you took your time!

If you find that you are only using the balance control because the volume pot isn't well balanced at low volumes, the MorQuiet has very tight channel balance at all settings, so you may not find that you miss the balance control anymore.

-PB

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 09:34:39 AM
With the Tru-Oil finish it looks just like most of the demo gear we have around here. Cool.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Cascadian

Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 09:41:17 AM
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the compliment :). Certainly the balance control at lower volumes is an issue I aim to sort out with an upgrade of the stock pot. That would be one of the primary reasons. I guess I was thinking that in the future there may be a situation where I may be sitting at a sub-optimal location.. but you know what, that's poppycock! Why would I settle for sub-optimal?

I think you've convinced me (that was easy lol). This stereomour II is begging to reach its final form...

Oh and hey Doc, I think it's pretty cool that mine look similar to your demo units as well. Call me a copycat but I love the raw look. Thanks for the guidance on this one!

Oh yeah, one more question for you cool cats out there. I'm so jubilated with the sound from both my modified Crack with HD6XX and this new bad boy that I need a DAC upgrade.

It's down to between the Bifrost 2 and the Yggdrasil GS. Now, normally I'm fairly frugal and no way in hell would I think to spend so much on the Yggdrasil in 1000 years.. but it is on sale essentially in the GS form and I do subscribe to the principle that if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. On the other hand, the Bifrost 2 has the upgraded unison USB and offers a more single-ended driven design which would fit in with my bottlehead products. Would it be "good enough?". Dacs make a subtle difference I realize but I'm a sick man. Any suggestions?

Deke609

Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 10:04:33 AM
Another headphone user with the SII! Nice. I had the same experience with the SII paired my LCD4's -- except I had the volume pots (Mourquiet) turned up about 4/6-5/6th's all the way up.

I have the Yggy A2 with Unison. I like it a lot. But I've heard very good things about the Bifrost 2. There are at least 2 members of this forum that have a BF2 - but I'm not sure if either have compared it to the GS or a first gen Yggy. My vote would be for the BF2 and save some money for either or both of (a) tubes or (b) a Beepre. Putting a Beepre in front of the SII takes it to a "whole 'nother level". 

cheers and enjoy!  Derek

« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 10:07:43 AM by Deke609 »

Offline Cascadian

Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 10:35:04 AM
Thanks for the reply! You may have talked some sense into me. I have to remember that there will likely be a future where the Crack ends up as the beautiful desktop headphone amp that it is in an office and the Stereomour will be my main speaker listening amp with some K501 action on the side as it is very addictive. So why not go for the Bifrost 2 now, something more in my price range anyways, then if the need arises later I can look at an upgrade for the main system.

As for tubes, i've always been a bang for the buck guy so after some research I ordered some Shuguang 2A3Cs from china that just arrived in Canada yesterday! I'll have to keep an eye on the mailbox :). The sovteks are sounding amazing though but I do like having at least an option for tube rolling. I'll also be ordering some cheap Mullard CV4024s this weekend. The site I'm looking at also has the brimar 6060 yellow Ts which are apparently quite rare but again, I'm a value guy with tubes.

As for the Beepree.. what a beauty that looks to be. There may come a time in the future where I will purchase one of these. I'm not so sure about the prospects of pre-amping an integrated amp like the SII, maybe you can fill me in on the virtues of something like that? My philosophy is to keep things simple and to keep the signal path as clean as possible, so wouldn't less electronics = more? What I COULD see the beepree coming in handy for is as a beautiful preamp for something like a pass labs first watt SS amp. I don't know if I'll ever go there.. but maybe i'll have the funds available down the road and the means to put this pairing together for another room in the house. Options are always fun!

Offline kgoss

Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 11:52:24 AM
Beautiful work building the amp, it looks good enough to be photographed for the manual!

My desktop system for years has been a S.E.X. 2.0 amp driving a pair of Blumenstein Mini speakers and occasionally headphones.  But I prefer speakers most of the time.  For Christmas I got a Bifrost 2 DAC and I couldn't be happier with it.  I have not heard the Yggy and I would expect it to be better for the price difference, but it would not fit on my computer desk so was not an option.  I don't think you would go wrong with the Bifrost 2, but only your ears can tell.  Schitt has a 15 day return policy so if you don't like it or want to upgrade you could return it.

Enjoy your awesome amp!
Ken

Ken Goss

Deke609

Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 12:18:48 PM
... I'm not so sure about the prospects of pre-amping an integrated amp like the SII, maybe you can fill me in on the virtues of something like that? ...

Turn the volume pot all the way up and you've got a power amp.

As for virtues: sounds incredible. I won't listen to either of my SII's without the BeePre - it's that good (to my ears, YMMV, etc.)

cheers, Derek

Offline Cascadian

Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 01:08:41 PM
Beautiful work building the amp, it looks good enough to be photographed for the manual!

My desktop system for years has been a S.E.X. 2.0 amp driving a pair of Blumenstein Mini speakers and occasionally headphones.  But I prefer speakers most of the time.  For Christmas I got a Bifrost 2 DAC and I couldn't be happier with it.  I have not heard the Yggy and I would expect it to be better for the price difference, but it would not fit on my computer desk so was not an option.  I don't think you would go wrong with the Bifrost 2, but only your ears can tell.  Schitt has a 15 day return policy so if you don't like it or want to upgrade you could return it.

Enjoy your awesome amp!
Ken

Hey thanks a lot Ken, really appreciate the comments! Manual worthy, that's really saying something. Bottlehead, are you listening? I will build stuff for you, take professional pictures, and then keep the stuff  ;D. I'm only a short drive away in Vancouver (canada, not washington) so I'll at least come to visit when this thing is all over. Maybe.. just maybe my future speaker purchase should be your beautiful looking jagers. Some of the nicest looking speakers going and I just know they're excellent.

Back to Ken. I know exactly what you mean about speakers vs headphones. First, it's nice to be able to roam around and working on a project. That's number 1 for speakers for me. But outside of that, speakers provide a sense of space and soundstage unrivaled by headphones. But I'm telling you, these K501s (baby brothers of the venerable K1000s) throw an amazing image. Never heard anything similar before from headphones myself.

And the Bifrost 2. I think this is the direction I will go. I think I'll order this weekend, in silver to match my bottlehead beauties of course. Thanks for your thoughts on the dac! Enjoying my amazing amp now through my MPD server and rompr front end. HIGHLY recommend this setup. Rompr has a really cool artist overview feature so you get a nice background on them. Check it out if you're so incline :).

Offline Cascadian

Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 01:13:12 PM
Turn the volume pot all the way up and you've got a power amp.

As for virtues: sounds incredible. I won't listen to either of my SII's without the BeePre - it's that good (to my ears, YMMV, etc.)

cheers, Derek

You know, i think i knew this at some point but forgot. Thanks for setting me straight Deke! Ok this badboy beepree (it is certainly drool-worthy) is on my wishlist. I'm sure the 300Bs add some bite. I do love myself some bite. I'm a younger guy and some of the newer music out there really benefits from bite. Don't get me wrong, I love all genres and especially lean towards older material but I am really into the good new stuff too. Most people I talk to do not realize that good new music is still being produced. Even the production quality is there for most of it.. although it is unfortunate about the compression utilized by some, otherwise great, artists.

Offline Cascadian

Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 11:45:37 AM
Bifrost 2 on the way! Thanks for the help gentlemen. I also grabbed some Solen 0.1uf 630V SM coupling caps, a pair of mullard CV4024s, and a simply Alps Blue 100K pot for now. Will almost definitely purchase the Mourquiet in the future as upgraditis prevails and funds permit. Just spent my pandemic savings money :P.

Will update with impressions of both 2A3 and 12AT7 tube changes as well as the coupling cap and Pot swap in the future. Enjoy your weekends!