Next run

Doc B. · 8479

Offline oguinn

Reply #15 on: September 15, 2020, 06:24:14 AM
Thanks Doc! Best of luck with the cabinet guy.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #16 on: October 01, 2020, 07:45:26 AM
I still don't quite have a definitive price for a full Jager kit in walnut or for cabinets only in walnut. But I do have an estimated cost. Walnut veneer layup on Baltic birch is not a common material and thus it has to be veneered to order. The panel size used in the process is slightly smaller than the standard birch material we use. That means there will be more panels needed for a given production run and more "fall off" - excess material - than with the standard birch cabinets. So between the custom walnut veneer, the fall off and walnut edge banding our cost for a run of walnut cabinets is double that for birch.

Part of the determination of the price will be figuring out if we can use that falloff to create something else to sell to offset the material cost. I am working with the shop to determine how big and how many excess panels we would have so I can cook up something to do with them.

As soon as I get a better handle on this I will post some prices and see if people are interested. I think the way this is shaping up we would probably be limited to a single run of walnut cabinets, then we would go back to birch in the future. For this to be feasible at the costs I have mentioned we would need ten orders total of full walnut Jager kits and/or cabinets only. Well, nine, as I would take a pair myself.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #17 on: October 01, 2020, 08:52:53 AM
Unless the cost is just bonkers I’m in. Even if you could ballpark me (email is fine if you don’t want to share publicly) I could get you a more definitive yes or no.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: October 04, 2020, 05:47:50 AM
It looks like the kit price for this limited walnut veneer cabinet version will be $3499. To be clear, this is walnut veneered Baltic birch plywood, not veneered MDF. So the sonic performance will remain the same as the standard Baltic birch version.

Those who currently have Jagers in birch may purchase a pair of walnut cabinets only. Please contact me at docb at bottlehead dot com and I'll quote a price. I would appreciate your posting an acknowledgement here if you plan to buy a walnut kit or cabinets so we can determine if we have enough orders to make this happen.

As an aside it was nice to hear a mixing engineer friend of mine mention that he thought the Jagers suitable for mixing and mastering yesterday, during a conversation about PMCs and ATCs and the like.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 06:48:24 AM
Shot you an email. Thanks for keeping this alive, Doc.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline caffeinator

Reply #20 on: October 05, 2020, 03:16:37 AM
Hi Doc,

I'm interested in walnut cabinets - will drop an email to you asap.

Offline oguinn

Reply #21 on: October 13, 2020, 06:37:01 AM
Was thinking about this and wanted to make sure I did what you asked, Doc. I’m posting here to confirm that I’m in for cabinets.

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #22 on: October 13, 2020, 06:59:28 AM
I'm in too!

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline caffeinator

Reply #23 on: October 13, 2020, 08:29:55 AM
Peer pressure is the worst...I'm in for cabinets.

Offline oguinn

Reply #24 on: October 13, 2020, 08:51:12 AM
Hell yeah

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #25 on: October 13, 2020, 03:28:18 PM
OK, I am willing to gamble and order 10 pairs of cabinets if we can get one more person to commit and bring us up to five pairs.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #26 on: October 26, 2020, 11:08:54 AM
I have, finally (!) gotten a page up in our store for the limited edition walnut version of the Jagers. We have six pairs of cabinets left from the minimum production run, and we need one more order to initiate that run. Who's gonna be first?

https://bottlehead.com/product/limited-edition-walnut-jager-speaker-kit/

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline oguinn

Reply #27 on: October 26, 2020, 12:02:40 PM
Come on dudes, buy a set before my wife changes her mind and goes anti-walnut cabinets for Jameson

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline oguinn

Reply #28 on: October 30, 2020, 06:57:05 AM
Doc, I assume you’ll email or something when you’ve hit the threshold and don’t need me to place an order on the site (I don’t see a cabinet only option anyway)

This is part question, part bumping this up for visibility so more people buy in

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #29 on: October 30, 2020, 07:53:29 AM
Yup, I will let folks who are interested in cabinets only know if we have anyone else get on board so I can push the button on a cabinet order. 

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.