Minor channel imbalance

kill_surf_city · 969

Offline kill_surf_city

on: May 28, 2020, 01:31:36 PM
I’m planning on finally building my Speedball upgrade this weekend but before I do I wanna resolve a slight channel imbalance. The right channel is about 1dB louder than the left. Sometimes I don’t notice it but I notice it enough to where it bothers me. Probably best to get it out of the way before I upgrade.

What can I do to either bring the right channel down 1 dB or bring the left channel up 1 dB?

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #1 on: May 28, 2020, 01:37:19 PM
Is this the same at all volume levels on the pot?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #2 on: May 28, 2020, 02:15:45 PM
Is this the same at all volume levels on the pot?

I believe so. I know there’s an imbalance at all levels but it think last time I tested it the imbalance stayed consistent with the increased volume.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: May 28, 2020, 02:36:03 PM
Have you tried a different 12AU7? 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #4 on: May 28, 2020, 03:00:15 PM
I think I may see where the problem is. I took new readings. It's showing the left channel as having slightly higher voltage though. And after re-looking at my solder job it possibly could need re-done at the top middle joint on the pot (left channel joint). I've attached a photo.

I'm testing at AC Volts (V~). Amp is powered off, tubes are still in.

At volume in the middle I get 0.104V for the left channel (white) and 0.094V for the right channel (red).
At full volume I get 0.634V for the left channel (white) and 0.633V for the right channel (red)

The reading is taken at the middle lugs on the volume pot.

The reading at the RCA inputs is 0.633V (white) and 0.634V (red)

I notice when i put the clip on the top middle lug (white) I get a less consistent output. it shoots up to 0.186 to 0.201V sort of randomly unless I adjust the clip. I've attached a photo. Looks like maybe that middle top lug could use re-soldering?

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #5 on: May 28, 2020, 03:05:00 PM
photo

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #6 on: May 28, 2020, 03:13:16 PM
Have you tried a different 12AU7?

Ok, I re-soldered that joint and it didn't change anything.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 03:16:00 PM
Yes, in your photo the white wire in the top middle lug of the volume pot isn't soldered. 

If there are any other joints in the amp like this, they need to be reflowed.

In the meantime, if you turn the volume pot all the way up, what AC voltages do you get at the middle lugs on the volume pot?

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 03:18:51 PM
Yes, in your photo the white wire in the top middle lug of the volume pot isn't soldered. 

If there are any other joints in the amp like this, they need to be reflowed.

In the meantime, if you turn the volume pot all the way up, what AC voltages do you get at the middle lugs on the volume pot?

at full volume, I get 0.634V on both joints.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #9 on: May 28, 2020, 03:24:30 PM
You could spray some electronics cleaner into the inside of the pots just to be sure they are clean, otherwise you could consider just replacing the pot.  While it is normal to have some imbalance at very low levels, that's not usually the case beyond the first 1/4 of a turn or so.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #10 on: May 28, 2020, 03:34:25 PM
You could spray some electronics cleaner into the inside of the pots just to be sure they are clean, otherwise you could consider just replacing the pot.  While it is normal to have some imbalance at very low levels, that's not usually the case beyond the first 1/4 of a turn or so.

Okay. Yeah I checked all the other joints and they all looked good. I even re-soldered the red and white wires that lead down to the pot and i still get the same readings. 0.0100 mismatch - almost exactly 1dB. Also shouldn't the louder channel be putting out more voltage? I'm getting the opposite. Either that or my ears are off.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #11 on: May 28, 2020, 05:12:40 PM
Yes, the louder channel should put out more voltage. You can also check the AC voltage at the headphone jack with headphones plugged in.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #12 on: May 28, 2020, 06:35:25 PM
Yes, the louder channel should put out more voltage. You can also check the AC voltage at the headphone jack with headphones plugged in.

I’m starting to think it’s my ears. I played a mono album for my wife and she says the left channel (the higher voltage one) is clearly louder. But for me it’s still the right channel that seems louder. But I’ll check out the voltage with headphones plugged in and see what it says. When I do that, do I need to have the amp turned on? Or just the same as before but with headphones plugged in?

Deke609

Reply #13 on: May 28, 2020, 09:04:43 PM
I’m starting to think it’s my ears.

You could test that by swapping red and white wires at the headphone jack.

cheers, Derek

Offline kill_surf_city

Reply #14 on: May 29, 2020, 05:41:53 AM
You could test that by swapping red and white wires at the headphone jack.

cheers, Derek

Good idea. I’ll try that later. Thanks!