Wrong Voltages on Speedball & Suggested Uses for Vegemite

IdiotoftheYear · 1283

Offline IdiotoftheYear

Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 12:09:13 PM
https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/bjt-bipolar-transistors/1844907/

You'll have to do a side by side of the real ON vs. what you got if that ends up being the problem.  To be honest the ones you have look off to me for some reason, but I don't have any ON MJE5731A here to compare to.

Marvellous! Thank you sir.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #16 on: June 01, 2020, 12:40:18 PM
Cheers Mate, I had vegemite on toast this morning, I'm serious

Lee R.

Offline IdiotoftheYear

Reply #17 on: June 01, 2020, 12:50:31 PM
Cheers Mate, I had vegemite on toast this morning, I'm serious

You had Vegemite on toast? And I thought that I was an idiot!  ;)

Actually, we eat Vegemite regularly. One of my favourite home-cooked meals involves minced meat and onions rolled in pastry and basted with a blend of Vegemite and hot water.  A fourth generation family recipe and a tasty one at that. Thanks great grandma! An Australian national hero.

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #18 on: June 01, 2020, 01:58:03 PM
That sounds good, if I understand cook mince and onions, drain wrap in pastry and bake basting with the veg and water from time to time when baking? or after baking? I may try this. I've made beef pasties in the past and have used vegemite in baking such as cheese cake and chocolate ganache. It may sound weird but maybe I am an idiot. And may I be so bold to ask about the ratio of vegemite and water? I understand that you may have trepidation divulging your great grandmothers secret family recipe but it sounds intriguing to me. I promise I won't tell anyone. What was the original topic I forgot. ;D

Lee R.

Offline IdiotoftheYear

Reply #19 on: June 01, 2020, 02:30:56 PM
Here you are Lee:

Meat Rolly Polly

2 x Cups of SR flour
1 tablespoon butter
Pinch of salt & pepper
Milk
500 gm minced beef
1 onion, chopped
Beef stock cube
1 cup of boiling water
A couple of teaspoons of Vegemite

Mix self-raising flour, butter, salt & pepper and enough milk to make a firm dough. Roll into a rectangle. Place mince, onion and the beef stock cube (dissolved into boiling water) into a bowl and mix. Spread onto dough, roll up and stick ends shut. Chop into snail-like pieces and place flat into a baking dish.

Baste Mixture: Mix Vegemite, butter and boiling water and pour over snails. Cook in the oven for 20 mins at 200 degrees Celcius. Reduce heat to 180 degrees and cook for 45-60 minutes. Baste with liquid when necessary.

You might find that you need to make more of the basting mixture. You don't want the pastry to get too dry during the cooking.

Vegemite in cheese cake and chocolate ganache sounds.... interesting. Might have to try it some time. 

« Last Edit: June 01, 2020, 02:32:55 PM by IdiotoftheYear »

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #20 on: June 01, 2020, 03:16:31 PM
Thank you sir I will give it a try before the weather gets to hot to run the oven, we will be getting miserably hot and humid weather soon. enjoy the hobby and I promise no more hijacks of your thread. I think, maybe, I'm not sure...…. :-\

Lee R.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 05:23:54 AM
Hopefully you don't get your Vegemite from the same eBay seller who sold you those transistors.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline oguinn

Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 05:32:15 AM
Got 'em!

Jameson O'Guinn

-

Main System: Schiit Bifrost MB, Rega Planar 6 with Exact cartridge, Eros 2, BeePre, Kaiju/Stereomour II, Jagers, Mainline

Desktop System: Crack with Speedball