A Question About Bottlehead Base Finishing

ScottAstroNut · 834

Offline ScottAstroNut

on: June 12, 2020, 11:20:52 AM
I have a simple question that I haven't been able to answer by searching the Bottlehead forum.

All the wooden bases in all the Bottlehead product pictures show the same light finish, a look that I very much like. What, exactly, is the "official" Bottlehead method of finishing the alder wood bases in these pictures? Are any stains or oils used? What is used as a finish coat?

Thanks!

Scott

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline and Crack for headphones.

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #1 on: June 12, 2020, 11:36:13 AM
Sand with 220 grit paper and coat with an oil finish like Seafin, Watco Danish natural, Birchwood Casey Tru-oil, tung oil, linseed oil, etc. Repeat until happy, using 0000 steel wool between coats.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline ScottAstroNut

Reply #2 on: June 12, 2020, 12:27:28 PM
Hi Doc,

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated!

Scott Burgess

BeePre 2, Kaiju, Eros 2, Rega P6, Rega Apollo CD player, Bryston BDA-1 DAC, Bryston BDP-1 streamer, Jager speakers, Mainline and Crack for headphones.

Offline pfontana

Reply #3 on: June 24, 2020, 07:27:52 PM
If it's not too late... try using some wood conditioner first.  Definitely if you are going to stain!  I used walnut gel stain and finished with a couple of coats of Danish Oil.  0000 works great too for final smoothing.
Philip

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #4 on: June 25, 2020, 07:05:26 AM
Wood conditioner is good before staining, but not necessary for the clear oil finish discussed here.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline OverAnalyst

• experimental indie/punk/jazz
Reply #5 on: August 27, 2020, 05:59:23 PM
man, I wish I saw this post before I stained my case. I wasn't familiar with the different color stains and thought cherry finish was what I wanted. Boy was I wrong. So I have this somewhat of an eye-sore of a case. I do like the natural finish I see on the website, but not sure if its salvageable. Or is it? Any suggestions?

Offline kgoss

Reply #6 on: August 28, 2020, 04:12:25 AM
Sandpaper and a little time will get you through your finish and back to raw wood so it is definitely fixable.  Personally, I like to use a palm sander.  When it comes to sanding out the rabbit you should hand sand with the sandpaper on something hard and flat.  Just use a small piece of wood if you don't have a commercial sanding block that fits.  You won't be able to maintain the 90 degree rabbit without a sanding block of some kind with flat sides.

Of course, the low effort option is to order another base from Bottlehead! :)

Ken Goss

Offline OverAnalyst

• experimental indie/punk/jazz
Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 05:25:40 AM
yeah, I saw the option to buy the wood. I guess I'm being a cheap skate. And I tend to make things complicated so I may go the sandpaper route. Or just live with it. Thanks for the tips!