Bad voltage at C4S board

kjwcb2 · 1350

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #15 on: June 21, 2020, 09:50:31 AM
What's the resistance between IA and IB?  Can you show me a photo of your solder?  If you have a Hakko FX-888, set it to 899 degrees (that's where I have mine set).  Do note that with this station, it is incredibly!!!! easy to think you are turning the temperature up and actually be calibrating the temperature so that the station thinks that wherever you have the iron set is whatever temperature you are setting on the screen. 

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline grufti

Reply #16 on: June 21, 2020, 11:48:23 AM
Your 250C setting on the Hakko is way too low. That's only about 480F for the US readers. PaulB's temperature is nearly twice that, about 480C. I find that a bit too high for work on a printed circuit board where solder pads can burn off, but he's the expert. I personally solder at about 400C - 420C when I work on PCB's. You should probably wash the circuit board with alcohol when you're done soldering.

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #17 on: June 21, 2020, 01:47:57 PM
Yes, I wouldn't solder that high on a single sided board with no through hole plating, but our boards hold up OK at those temps.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline Doc B.

• Administrator
    • Bottlehead
Reply #18 on: June 22, 2020, 09:22:10 AM
It's all about the dwell time of the tip on the work. If you have been doing boards for a number of years you tend to work quickly and only hold the tip on the pad for a second or two, You can get away with a pretty high temp that way.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President For Life
Bottlehead Corp.

Offline grufti

Reply #19 on: June 22, 2020, 11:53:01 AM
The short dwell time is why hot is good. The components actually heat up less that way, but only, if the dwell time is really short.