Solder Tabs [Resolved]

Darkblade48 · 480

Offline Darkblade48

on: June 20, 2020, 01:47:11 PM
This might be an obvious (== stupid) question, but would there be any problem with filing down the interior of the solder tabs (where a screw would go through)?

The BOM indicates there should be 2 - #6 solder tabs and 3 - #8 solder tabs, however, this seems to be switched around for me.

The two pictures show a 8-32x2" screw (for the power transformer). Of the 5 solder tabs, only 2 fit through (the two on the left). The three on the right seem to be #6 sized, as they do not go all the way onto the screw.
The second photograph shows that a #8 goes onto the screw as expected, but the #6 can only fit as far as the first thread.

So in summary, would there be any harm in filing down the interior of the #6 solder tab?
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 06:50:34 PM by Darkblade48 »

Deke609

Reply #1 on: June 20, 2020, 02:31:56 PM
No problem. I've used some mini needlenose to bend the interior spikes alternatingly up/down and then clipped their ends a bit with with sidecutters. The alternating up/down gives you space to get the ends of the cutters around the tips of the spikes.

cheers, Derek

Offline Darkblade48

Reply #2 on: June 20, 2020, 02:37:03 PM
No problem. I've used some mini needlenose to bend the interior spikes alternatingly up/down and then clipped their ends a bit with with sidecutters. The alternating up/down gives you space to get the ends of the cutters around the tips of the spikes.

cheers, Derek
Thank you for the fast reply!

Excellent. This saves me a trip to the hardware store!