Sex, Ohms, and Rock 'n Roll (impedance question)

Joe Garfield · 920

Offline Joe Garfield

on: July 09, 2020, 10:34:35 AM
I'm curious about wiring the SEX amp for headphone use and also for mono speaker output. I was looking for a headphone amp, but when I saw the SEX can power speakers I started wondering if I could use it as a guitar amplifier as well (I have a separate pre-amp.)

Can the SEX be wired with a mono speaker output (8 ohm load) and also 32 ohm stereo headphone output? Is this relatively simple to do?

Thanks,
Joe

Joe Marri
Modi MB > Crack > HD650

Offline Thermioniclife

Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 12:04:05 PM
Have you purchased a S3X kit or are you just wondering? Or on the fence? because i believe you can quite simply.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 12:07:01 PM by Thermioniclife »

Lee R.

Offline Joe Garfield

Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 12:36:10 PM
I haven't purchased yet.

Initially I thought I'd get the Crack amp to bring 'the best' out of my HD650s. But then thought a) I don't need more warmth, just the magic/life/holography/plankton/etc that comes with tube amplification, and b) if I could kill 2 birds with 1 stone and use Sex for headphones and a guitar speaker, that would be pretty awesome, and c) I just got AKG K712 and it would be nice to have the option to power them with this amp as well.

I'm still on the fence about Crack vs Sex. I started with HD650 and Magni, then moved to Vali 2 and like it a lot. The HD650 can still sound a little congested in the lower mids and I read that better amp matching can help.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 12:39:40 PM by Joe Garfield »

Joe Marri
Modi MB > Crack > HD650

Offline Paul Birkeland

• Global Moderator
Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 12:56:52 PM
Since you have a preamp, you could just feed that into the SEX amp and plug a speaker into the speaker outputs.  I would just use one channel of the SEX for that.

Paul "PB" Birkeland

Bottlehead Grunt & The Repro Man

Offline mudvin

Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 10:09:42 PM
In my experience you should also consider the type of music that you listen to the most when making this decision.

Although the SEX is technically better than crack in many ways. I find the crack to be much better for rock/ metal and bass heavy music. SEX does make beautiful vocals and has a wonderful sound stage, and I'm sure better for other types of music.

Anyway I have both and mostly listen to the crack

Offline Joe Garfield

Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 04:24:23 PM
In this case SEX would be used mostly for piano and guitar music.

Joe Marri
Modi MB > Crack > HD650

Offline Joe Garfield

Reply #6 on: August 09, 2020, 05:15:57 PM
I just paid for S.E.X. Please don't judge.

Joe Marri
Modi MB > Crack > HD650